Vivera retainer replacement - rescan required?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

turbocycle

Vivera retainer replacement - rescan required?

#1 Post by turbocycle »

After several years, I've used up my 4 Vivera retainers, and want to order a new set, but my dentist wants to perform a rescan, even though my existing retainer fits just fine.

Should my dentist be able to order a new set without the rescan?

djspeece

Re: Vivera retainer replacement - rescan required?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I think the issue might be of "it fits just fine." I'm not sure that equates to "it fits exactly the same as it did when the retainer was new." It seems possible that some teeth may have shifted slightly, and that your retainer has loosened a bit over the years to accommodate. It also seems possible that the shifting might continue, unless brought back under control with a newly fitted retainer. But -- I of course am not an orthodontist, and am just offering some thoughts. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

turbocycle

#3 Post by turbocycle »

Thanks for the feedback, Dan. My dentist didn't mention any concerns with the fit of my existing retainer. They just said that there is no way to order more retainers without being rescanned. I thought Invisalign kept the records, and can easily remake the existing retainer.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

You'd certainly think so!
Best of luck.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying