New retainer for lower jaw can't fit in easily

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AngelCatMei

New retainer for lower jaw can't fit in easily

#1 Post by AngelCatMei »

Hi!

I recently got a new replacement for clear retainer as it have multiple crack due to grinding. However, the new retainer is hard to fit in. Dentist is aware of it but she mentioned that it definitely can fit in, just need a find the right angle.

It did managed to fit onto my lower teeth if I put it in slowly (one side by one side). It feels ok but I just woke up with a tight sore teeth (it feels as if I just had a braces adjustment).

Is this normal?

As my previously clear retainer seems wider when I compared both and I can put it in and take it out easily.

The currently retainer is still clear retainer, just with a thicker material to ease my grinding.

djspeece

Re: New retainer for lower jaw can't fit in easily

#2 Post by djspeece »

It's probably likely that your older retainer loosened up a bit over time, and now with a new retainer you must get your teeth back into their original, post-braces alignment. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

AngelCatMei

#3 Post by AngelCatMei »

djspeece wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:47 pm It's probably likely that your older retainer loosened up a bit over time, and now with a new retainer you must get your teeth back into their original, post-braces alignment. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the reply. It might be my old retainer loosened up since it has been a year and a half since I debrace.

However, I don't remember my old retainer causing me so much pain when I first gotten it. It just sore, not to the extreme of painful.

Apologies, I realize that I wrote it as sore rather than painful.

It hurts to the point that it's painful to brush and even a tender touch to those lower front teeth make me jump up.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Best to get it looked out, that sounds painful and much different from your initial experience with the retainer. Best of luck to you! Please let us know how it turns out!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying