Question about clear retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AngelCatMei

Question about clear retainer

#1 Post by AngelCatMei »

Hi all!

I got my upper night guard retainer today after placing a dental crown. Previously, I'm having the clear retainer. I didn't get to see the dentist today for fitting due to the covid-19 situation in my country, they decided to cancel my appointment and wanted to reschedule it to 11th May but I told them I didn't wanna wait for one month plus without a retainer (especially when I just got off my braces not long ago and that my teeth shift really fast).

So they asked me to come down and collect the retainer but the dentist wont see me for fitting. After collecting it, I went to the toilet to try it on. It seems okay, but the margin confuse me as it's different from my previous clear retainer that covers my 2mm gum too (which I feel is more secure and comfortable).

Anyone ever had a retainer that is the same as the one I have?

Image for both retainers, the top retainer shown in the pic is the one I had previously and the below one is the new one I got today:

https://imgur.com/gallery/8WsXrUy

I searched on Youtube and I saw it is scalloping the retainer. I feel like it's harder to get the retainer off without the 2mm gingivitis margin.

djspeece

Re: Question about clear retainer

#2 Post by djspeece »

I have the Vivera retainer (the brand name in the US) like yours, but mine allow no overlap with the gum and is neatly trimmed like your new retainer. I would not want a retainer compressing any part of my gum line. So, I think your new retainer is an improvement, at least in that regard. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying