Loose retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catteethidk

Loose retainers?

#1 Post by catteethidk »

I got my braces off about a month and a half ago. I have permanent retainers on the backs of my teeth at the top and bottom, and Hawley retainers that I'm still on 24/7 for the moment. I also go to school in a different city than my orthodontist so now that the school year has begun it's not too easy for me to make an appointment. I've been having a lot of issues over my bottom retainer especially being really loose. I've had two appointments post-braces so far, and each time my orthodontist tightened my retainers and sent me on my way. I have a longer wait now until my next appointment, another month and a half away. I can go see my orthodontist over fall break.

But once again my bottom retainer just goes notoriously loose, and the plastic palate jabs into my gumline in a way that's just really uncomfortable to top things off. The top retainer is also a bit loose but nowhere near as bad. Should I be really concerned about this? Will my teeth move significantly without the Hawleys to keep them more firmly in place, if I at least still have the permanent ones? I'm worried about there being some serious complications if I wait til my next appt but I can't really afford to make constant trips home, either time-wise or financially.