Hawley wire pressing on gum line

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RS27

Hawley wire pressing on gum line

#1 Post by RS27 »

Hi all,

Are Hawley wires supposed to touch the gum line or rest just barely touching it? My upper Hawley has a semi-detached curved wire (in an upside down C shape) above the molars that press firmly into the gum line. I already have recession on those molars (prior to braces) and I’m wondering if that firm contact could make it worse?

I haven’t been able to get it completely on since I picked them up. In addition to the touching the gum line, the wire leaves a small metal scratch mark on one of my front teeth when I attempt to wear it and take it off.

Also, has anyone worn a combo Hawley and Essex at once or do both retainers have to match? My lower Hawley fits perfectly but I also have upper and lower Essex retainers.

Thank you!

Jethro

Re: Hawley wire pressing on gum line

#2 Post by Jethro »

I wore an upper Hawley retainer for several years after my prior treatment and never experienced what you're describing. Sounds like it doesn't fit properly and needs to be adjusted. As for the Hawley/Essix combo, it seems fairly common but I would suggest seeing your ortho to discuss both concerns.

All the Best,

Jethro

RS27

Re: Hawley wire pressing on gum line

#3 Post by RS27 »

Thanks for your reply. I wore it for one night and my teeth were so achy the next morning and felt like they were pushed inward by the metal bar. An appointment for an adjustment is in order.

Cheers!