I bite down on my retainer :(

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heartofdarkness

I bite down on my retainer :(

#1 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Hi! Got my braces off 1,5 weeks ago. When the ortho assistant checked the placement on my bonded retainer it was all fine, but after it was glued in place my lower teeth hits the top retainer, making it feel as my molars don't touch when I chew. She tried grinding the glue down as much as possible and did lots of those bite tests where you bite on like a carbon paper and then said that hopefully my chewing will grind it down in time.

I have 4 more days of wearing my Essix 24/7 and she said after that I will see what happens. My follow up appointment isn't until June though and I I'm scared my teeth will get damaged by this. Any experiences with this?

jem

Re: I bite down on my retainer :(

#2 Post by jem »

If your lower teeth hit your upper bonded retainer, I can't see it lasting very long. If that proves to be the case after you have finished 24/7 wear of your essix, I would suggest you book an appointment with your ortho to re-fit the bonded retainer a little higher up if possible. Not everyone can wear an upper bonded retainer-you need to have very little depth of bite before bottom teeth will make contact with the retainer. If it proves impossible to fit an upper bonded retainer without the bottom incisors touching it, you may have to manage with just your upper essix-presumably with a longer period of 24/7 wear.

Bonded retainers are useful but they aren't a complete magic bullet against relapse. I have had a lateral incisor start to tip outwards again even whilst still attached to my upper bonded retainer. So I am now wearing my essix 24/7. The tooth moved quickly back into line but the issue is making it stay there. I will probably continue the 24/7 wear until I see my general dentist in July.

Good luck

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Heartofdarkness

#3 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Thanks jem. I think I'm one of the cases who can't wear a bonded, I have a deep bite. I wonder why the assistent thought it would work in the first place. I will give them a call.

bracedagain

#4 Post by bracedagain »

You'd think they would make sure this wasn't going to be a problem before fitting the bonded retainer - how hard can it be to check?