15 Year Update

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TimSeattle

15 Year Update

#1 Post by TimSeattle »

Hi Everyone,

I am no longer active on Archwired, but usually post an annual update to cheer on those who are still in braces or have recently had them taken off. I got braces 15 years ago, and had them removed 12 years ago. My teeth are still wonderfully straight and I have a great smile. (An added bonus is that my wife thinks I look younger).

A couple of suggestions: (1) Wear your retainers regularly for life. This will keep your teeth from shifting (2) Practice good dental hygiene and visit the dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. I have about 10 other suggestions, but if you practice the first two, you'll be fine.

All the best to each of you!
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

Catpotat

Re: 15 Year Update

#2 Post by Catpotat »

Thanks so much for the update, I was debanded several hours ago and about to get my retainers. It's great to hear your teeth are perfect after so many years! :)

md1512

#3 Post by md1512 »

Hi! Thanks for the update, great your teeth are still in great shape. DId you have a permanent retainer fitted?

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Great to hear, TimSeattle! I've been debraced for several years and wear my retainers religiously. Best of luck for continued success.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

TimSeattle

#5 Post by TimSeattle »

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add to this one. It's been 16 years since I got braces and 13 since I was debanded. My teeth are stiil perfectly aligned, thanks to continued use of retainers ( Essex top and bottom) and good oral hygiene: I prefer to brush with a Sonicare using the DiamondCare system. The Whitening brush really helps keep my teeth bright between cleanings.
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

LemonTree

#6 Post by LemonTree »

Great to hear that your teeth are still well aligned after so many years! I

wore my essex top and bottom retainers regularly for nine years after finishing treatment. Unfortunately, I've had a few retainers break on me over the years and despite getting new ones shortly after each incident, my teeth have become less aligned over time. Luckily I still have my old invisalign trays and am working with my dentist to see if we can get my teeth realigned (using last few sets of refinement tray) and then will try my luck with Vivera retainers.