Flossing permanent retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rickrolled

Flossing permanent retainer

#1 Post by Rickrolled »

When I got my braces off, my ortho glued permanent retainers to each tooth on my upper and lower 6 as well as 2 removable. Lol at least I know my teeth are going nowhere.

The only trouble is is that is that I can't floss it. All the tutorials band such are no use even with super floss! The issue is it that I can't floss from the front as my teeth are so tight together (after sandpapering) and the retainer prevents the teeth from allowing a space for the floss to pass through and going in from the back is not an option (for the upper at least).

Are there any other options/ things I should do? I may buy a treader in the future.

Thanks

EmilyTravels

Re: Flossing permanent retainer

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

Yeah, I'd recommend floss threaders by Oral B. They will go through really tight spaces. I also have a permanent bottom retainer, and these threaders work the best.

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

I agree with Emily and personally use them on a daily basis.
-Andy

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

Totally agree. These are the only things that allow you to floss efficiently when you have bonded retainers. I checked the box and it says Oral B Glide Threadder Floss (as opposed to floss threaders which are something different). I buy them at a local pharmacy/drug store but you can also find them online.

Congrats on getting your braces off!

All the Best,

Jethro

Braceface2015

#5 Post by Braceface2015 »

When you floss around your permanent retainer, do you also floss the retainer itself? I often can’t tell if there’s actually food stuck or if it’s just glue

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

Braceface, you should realize the posts you are responding to are very old, and you may not see any responses.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying