Broken clear retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

billysil

Broken clear retainer

#1 Post by billysil »

Hello.
This evening when washing my retainer I managed to accidentally squeeze it a little too tight and it cracked. While it is still intact, it's rather loose around my teeth. Sooo I "fixed" it with superglue. Not a smart idea, but since I am not in my home country for another month, I can't do anything else about this situation.
I'd like to hear some tips and tricks how can I preserve my retainer and teeth until I get back home. I have to only wear my retainers at night (braces removed 5 months ago).

djspeece

Re: Broken clear retainer

#2 Post by djspeece »

I think your superglue approach is the best option and I would have done the same thing. Do you still feel a "pull" when you put your retainer in each night? If so, I would assume that it is doing its job. You'll just need to be super careful when removing it to avoid torqueing it and creating more issues (as you likely already know). Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying