How quick do bottom teeth shift w/perm retainer but no Essix?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

How quick do bottom teeth shift w/perm retainer but no Essix?

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

I just got my bottom braces off today (tops come off 10/29), and a fixed retainer was placed on the back of my incisors. They also took molds for an Essix for the bottom arch. However, the tech neglected to inform me that the Essix would be made that day and I should just wait to take it home with me. She's sweet, but not a very good communicator. :(

After I got home, I got a call telling me it was ready. I was confused as I thought I'd just get it at my debrace appointment on the 29th.

So, I can either pick it up on Monday the 22nd or wait until my debrace date the following Monday (based on when the staff will be in my preferred office). My question is, will waiting the extra week cause my teeth to shift too much for it to fit? I can get there the 22nd if I have to, but it is out of the way, and if it's not that critical, since I have the fixed retainer, I would just as soon wait until the 29th, since I'll be going in anyway.

Would love to get your opinions...thanks!

Jethro

Re: How quick do bottom teeth shift w/perm retainer but no Essix?

#2 Post by Jethro »

Congrats on getting your bottom braces off! As for the retainer, I would pick it up on Monday. Everyone is different of course, but teeth can shift very quickly and I wouldn't risk it.

All the Best,

Jethro

EmilyTravels

Re: How quick do bottom teeth shift w/perm retainer but no Essix?

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

Thanks Jethro.

I had already decided I'd better go this Monday and pick it up, just in case. I did some research online, and some orthos only prescribe fixed retainers, no Essix at all, so I would be surprised if my teeth moved that fast, but it's just not worth taking the chance.