Deep bite (not overjet) relapse prevention

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tiffingirl

Deep bite (not overjet) relapse prevention

#1 Post by tiffingirl »

Just wondering what your ortho has prescribed to stop the relapse of your deep bite (ie where the top incisors cover too much of the lowers) and whether this has been successful for you. I am still in braces but am worried that as soon as I stop my elastics and get de-braced that the deep bite will return, even with a retainer.

Thanks!
Braced date 16 Aug 2018
Diagnosis Class II Division 2 malocclusion, anterior deep bite (100%), mild overjet, moderate crowding lower, mild crowding upper.
Type Damon clear upper, Damon metal lower
Expected Duration 18-24 months
Desired goals widen smile, bite correction

drgnchsr36

Re: Deep bite (not overjet) relapse prevention

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I’ve had my braces off for some time now after dealing with a deep bite. I’m relatively good at wearing my retainers or my night guard and have had no issues with any relapse. I think you just have to be good about wearing your retainers after braces and you’ll be fine.

RS27

Re: Deep bite (not overjet) relapse prevention

#3 Post by RS27 »

Get a night guard made by your dentist. My dentist, who has a deep bite, recommended a night guard for me because I was left with a deep bite after my braces treatment. (She has worn her night guard for years with success.) An orthodontist she consulted with on my behalf said that Essix retainers can sometimes worsen the deep bite, especially if the lower anterior teeth are not making contact with the upper anteriors.

I was also recommended by that same orthodontist to wear an upper Hawley and to make sure that when I bite down my lower anterior teeth are touching the acrylic. I personally opted for the night guard instead (my dental insurance covers 1 night guard per year).

Hope this helps.