Relapse and Retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MargaRetRo

Relapse and Retainers

#1 Post by MargaRetRo »

Hello!!
I'm new here, but I've been on and off reading various posts on this site and I wanted to get some input from fellow brace-havers.

Alright, so I got my upper braces off in June 2015. I had a rather large space before I started braces and all my teeth were together when I got them off, but within a few hours of them being removed, my two front teeth relapsed and I had a space again. I had a Hawley retainer in the beginning, and I have an Invisalign one now. The thing is, I've been wearing my retainers but the space always comes back. Oddly, it's the only relapse of my braces experience. All my other teeth are fine. Whenever I put the Invisalign in, the space does close, but whenever I take it out, it slowly starts to open up again. I was told that nightwear is fine for it, but the space is still here. No matter how much I wear it, it always comes back.

Even worse, I keep having these lapses in judgment, if I may have done something incorrectly and I keep feeling insanely aware of the space. It would be nice to have some reassurance about this...here's before and afters. I know it's all in my head, but the ortho always stresses about the space returning, even though it wasn't my fault it returned. It happened the day they came off and I did everything as they told me.

Before: http://preservationofmoments.tumblr.com ... 8848435412
After: http://preservationofmoments.tumblr.com ... 3525942452

Thanks for your time guys!! :-)

bbsadmin

Re: Relapse and Retainers

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

You either need to get back into a Hawley retainer or get a permanent retainer put behind your 6 front teeth.

You should go back to your orthodontist to discuss your options.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

MargaRetRo

#3 Post by MargaRetRo »

Hi!
Thanks for your reply. I was reading that for the best Invisalign results, at least 20-22 hours a day is needed. I'm going to wear the Invisalign for the next month or so, and I'm going to pay the ortho a visit soon and see what they think. Thanks again for your input! :-)

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

It appears the type of relapse you're experiencing is difficult to control with removable retainers alone. I would also recommend a bonded upper retainer that will provide 24-hour retention.

All the Best,

Jethro