Essix quits working?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rzokian

Essix quits working?

#1 Post by rzokian »

I've been out of my braces for around 3 years. My Ortho gave me two sets of essix retainers. I used one pair every night until last night. Yesterday my dentist suggested I switch to my "new" set, and I am really surprised at how much pain I've noticed in a couple areas. Did my old essix just quit working? I know that the two retainers were a bit different when I first got them, but I didn't think it was this much!

Jethro

Re: Essix quits working?

#2 Post by Jethro »

Essix retainers have a finite life span, generally considered to be 2 to 5 years. Several factors affect their longevity such as original retainer quality, frequency of use, cleaning method, teeth grinding, etc. And yes, they do fail. I'm in braces again due in part to failed retainers. Also, my sister-in-law's essix stopped providing retention after about 3 years and she experienced some shifting. I think your dentist gave you great advice!

All the Best,

Jethro