Moving out of area after get retainer - anyone done this?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Moving out of area after get retainer - anyone done this?

#1 Post by EmilyTravels » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am

Hi all,

I am due to get my braces off in 1-2 months and of course will be getting retainers at that time. I will probably only be able to get in for one followup appointment with my orthodontist before we move out of the area. I know my ortho usually follows up with his patients for at least a year after getting debraced, but I won't be able to get in for any further appointments.

Will this be a problem? Will I be okay just taking my retainers (once I am sure they fit, etc.) and leaving the area? I'm sure I can't be the only person who moved out of the area of their orthodontist...just curious how it worked out for you, if you did.

Thanks!

jaime

Re: Moving out of area after get retainer - anyone done this?

#2 Post by jaime » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 am

I not only left the area, I left the country. I moved away while I still had braces. Fortunately it was only a 90min drive, but I did go back several times. Once the braces came off, I think I went back for two or three follow up appointments for my retainer. I'm guessing by your post that you're too far away to drive? Perhaps you can find a new orthodontist who wouldn't mind taking a look at your retainer, maybe even for a small fee?
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

EmilyTravels

Re: Moving out of area after get retainer - anyone done this?

#3 Post by EmilyTravels » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:54 am

jaime wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 am
I not only left the area, I left the country. I moved away while I still had braces. Fortunately it was only a 90min drive, but I did go back several times. Once the braces came off, I think I went back for two or three follow up appointments for my retainer. I'm guessing by your post that you're too far away to drive? Perhaps you can find a new orthodontist who wouldn't mind taking a look at your retainer, maybe even for a small fee?
Yes, we are moving to Mexico, so I will definitely be too far to make it back to Florida for appointments. :lol:

I am planning on getting an extra Essix retainer in case I break or lose one, but I will probably have to find an orthodontist down in Mexico if I need any actual care.

Still in braces (a little longer than I'd expected) but hoping for removal next month. We move on November 1.