Thinking of getting a backup Essix. Good idea?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Thinking of getting a backup Essix. Good idea?

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

Hi all!

I'm due to get my braces off at the end of August or thereabouts...may stretch into September, but hopefully no longer than that.

I'm thinking of getting a backup Essix retainers in case I break, crack, or lose my ortho-provided one. We are going to be in Mexico for six months starting November 1, so I will not have access to my orthodontist during this time. That makes having a "plan B" more important than if he were right down the road.

What do you all think of this offering: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01134ZF0Q/?c ... _lig_dp_it[/url]

It looks and sounds legit and has good reviews. Just curious if anyone here has ordered one.... Thanks! :D

jem

Re: Thinking of getting a backup Essix. Good idea?

#2 Post by jem »

Why not just ask your ortho to make you two sets of retainers? They will take impressions far more skilfully and accurately than the DIY impressions you will have to do yourself for an internet provider.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

jem wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:29 am Why not just ask your ortho to make you two sets of retainers? They will take impressions far more skilfully and accurately than the DIY impressions you will have to do yourself for an internet provider.
That's a good point. I will ask how much more it would be. Just trying to save a few bucks after paying for braces.

Tgannon2

#4 Post by Tgannon2 »

EmilyTravels, I think you are entitled to one free set of retainers as per your plan. I'm in Canada and the cost to replace a lost or broken retainer is $200 CAD. They are not cheap but may be worth it for peace of mind.

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

Tgannon2 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:59 am EmilyTravels, I think you are entitled to one free set of retainers as per your plan. I'm in Canada and the cost to replace a lost or broken retainer is $200 CAD. They are not cheap but may be worth it for peace of mind.
Yes, one set is included in my contract. But since we will be moving out of the country November 1, I want to make sure to have a backup set. If my ortho's cost isn't much more than the one on Amazon, I will certainly just get a second set from him, as it saves a second set of impressions, etc.

Thanks!

SinkFullOfDinner

#6 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Could your ortho do an iTero scan (the digital scan they use for Invisalign and their Vivera retainers) and just keep it in the system? That way, if you lost whatever retainers you were given, your ortho could order the Vivera ones based on the digital file and have them sent to whatever wonderful location you're exploring at the time. And in the meantime if you don't lose the originals you don't have buy backups. Just a thought...if he/she is willing. It would be like having a "find me, follow me" retainer service at your disposal!

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

SinkFullOfDinner wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:16 pm Could your ortho do an iTero scan (the digital scan they use for Invisalign and their Vivera retainers) and just keep it in the system? That way, if you lost whatever retainers you were given, your ortho could order the Vivera ones based on the digital file and have them sent to whatever wonderful location you're exploring at the time. And in the meantime if you don't lose the originals you don't have buy backups. Just a thought...if he/she is willing. It would be like having a "find me, follow me" retainer service at your disposal!
That's a great idea. I have no idea whether they offer digital scans but I will find out when I get my braces off. If they do, that could work. Thanks!