Waiting Weeks for a Retainer?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tgannon2

Waiting Weeks for a Retainer?

#1 Post by Tgannon2 »

I have clear retainers after being debraced a week and a half ago, just on the top.

Bottom was left without retainers to let a space close. Now, my teeth are crooked. My ortho was unhappy with how quickly my teeth moved and even figured I would still have a gap.

Now I have to wait until August 8th (almost three weeks) until I get my bottom retainer. She is convinced that a course of several retainers will help fix the crookedness and make them straight again...but they have already moved so much after 9 days...what should I do?

Takes a week to make this different retainer and they are off the following week. I feel so angry and upset about this.

Jethro

Re: Waiting Weeks for a Retainer?

#2 Post by Jethro »

Sorry to hear of your situation. One would think that if anyone on the planet understoond how quickly teeth can shift/relapse it would be an orthodontist! LOL. I saw this Stay Tray on this site: https://www.dentakit.com/staytray.html . Perhaps that might work temporarily. Hopefully, the shifting will be resolved when he retainer arrives. If not, I would politely, but persistently, ask your ortho to make the necessary correction (even if it means braces again for a short while). Good luck.

All the Best,

Jethro

Tgannon2

Re: Waiting Weeks for a Retainer?

#3 Post by Tgannon2 »

[quote=Jethro post_id=503492 time=1532036475 user_id=11864]
Sorry to hear of your situation. One would think that if anyone on the planet understoond how quickly teeth can shift/relapse it would be an orthodontist! LOL. I saw this Stay Tray on this site: https://www.dentakit.com/staytray.html . Perhaps that might work temporarily. Hopefully, the shifting will be resolved when he retainer arrives. If not, I would politely, but persistently, ask your ortho to make the necessary correction (even if it means braces again for a short while). Good luck.

All the Best,

Jethro
[/quote]

Thanks for the link, Jethro! I've never heard of this before, I'm very interested in getting these for the time being.

It was strange, my orthodontist was very unhappy with the gap but did not give me a permanent retainer. Instead of an impression I got a scan and now they are on holiday for two weeks. I've noticed significant movement in my bottom teeth so I'm very anxious to get my bottom retainer. Maybe it will be like invisalign, and hopefully I don't have to pay anything additional because it was their fault. It's hard not to be anxious when you have spent so much money on fixing your teeth!