Bottom retainer broke

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

schipain

Bottom retainer broke

#1 Post by schipain »

So just as the title says, my bottom retainer broke. I noticed some of the cement chipping away here and there for the past couple weeks so I guess this was bound to happen. It's been about 10 years since I've had braces. Is it really necessary for me to spend the money to get this fixed?

assertives

Re: Bottom retainer broke

#2 Post by assertives »

There is always the possibility for teeth to shift without wearing a retainer, and some experience it more than others. Hence why the saying that retainer is for life. So I guess, necessarily or not would really depend on how ok you are with your teeth shifting and to what degree is deemed acceptable to you.

Zoidberg

#3 Post by Zoidberg »

If you don't wear the retainer and your teeth shift, you may be faced with the possibility of having to get braces again to correct it - assuming it bothers you.
I know its a hard pill to swallow, but personally I would spend the few hundred sorting out the retainer rather than risk having to spend potentially thousands (not to mention the pain, discomfort and inconvenience), of having braces again.

I had removable appliances in my late teens but eventually stopped wearing my retainers, now I'm doing it all over again in my 30s, really wish I had stuck with the retainer, but maybe I'm a little biased on the subject! :)

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

I agree with the others: without a retainer your teeth will shift. I'm in braces for the 3rd time due to failed retainers. You have been warned. LOL

All the best,

Jethro