What to do if you lost your retainer (how to keep your teeth from shifting)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

What to do if you lost your retainer (how to keep your teeth from shifting)

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

"I lost my retainer! How do I keep my teeth straight?"

First of all, don't panic! Contact your dentist or orthodontist and make an appointment to get a new retainer made. If you have been wearing your retainer consistently and your orthodontist still has the molds, impressions, or electronic measurements for your retainer, it's possible that a new one can be made without you even going into the office.

It might take a week or two to get your new retainer. Until then, you can buy Stay Tray at DentaKit.com and it will hold your teeth in their proper positions. You can get it at: https://www.dentakit.com/staytray.html Stay Tray is a temporary solution for lost retainers -- it's not intended to be used as a long-term solution.

It's important to continue wearing your retainer on a regular basis, even if you had your braces off years ago. Teeth are dynamic, and they WILL shift over time due to the forces of your jaw.

A set of new retainers often costs anywhere from $100 to $250.
Stay_Tray_Front_Resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!