Relapse

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Songbird

Relapse

#1 Post by Songbird »

Hi, I’m new here. Hope I’m posting correctly. Does anybody have any experience with relapse and very short roots? I was told by three orthodontists (throughout the years) that I can never get braces again due to root resorption. I’m heartbroken, as recently my teeth have really shifted. I had a good 20 years of relatively straight teeth.

assertives

Re: Relapse

#2 Post by assertives »

Songbird wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 pm Hi, I’m new here. Hope I’m posting correctly. Does anybody have any experience with relapse and very short roots? I was told by three orthodontists (throughout the years) that I can never get braces again due to root resorption. I’m heartbroken, as recently my teeth have really shifted. I had a good 20 years of relatively straight teeth.
I personally don't have experience getting braces with very short roots.

But I'll say if you can avoid getting braces again, avoid it. Because while root resorption is not common, the fact that you have experienced it with braces treatment previously, means you are more susceptible to getting root resorption if you underwent braces treatment again. There's a real risk in having stability issues and/or losing some of your teeth if more resorption happens. Don't risk it.

robynmadison

#3 Post by robynmadison »

Hi, id say go for it.

I was told by multiple orthodontists that they wouldn't do work on me because of my short roots, and here i am in my second round of braces because well...mine shifted back too!
my ortho basically said "well, you're going to probably need dentures when youre older anyways, so why not have the strait teeth that are actually yours now?" :D

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

I guess if you are making a decision with the pros and cons of needing dentures further down the line vs having straight teeth now, then it would make sense to go for it. For me, I would see it and base my decision on a different set of pros and cons, i.e. crooked healthy teeth vs tooth loss/stability issues. So, I would say it depends on what your priorities are.

But if you do go ahead with treatment, it would be good to be mentally prepared for the possibility of losing your teeth or having stability issues regardless how slim the chance is or not. Since several orthos have throughout the years warned you about the same thing, it definitely could be a possibility in your case.

thirdtime

#5 Post by thirdtime »

Hi, I have a similar problem with short roots however my bite is very uncomfortable. I don't care about slightly crooked teeth in terms of aesthetics but the way my teeth come together is causing pain. I don't know what options I have if braces are not recommended due to short roots.

Has anyone had a similar predicament?