Fixed retainer on front of teeth?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sniffer

Fixed retainer on front of teeth?

#1 Post by sniffer »

I keep on having to get my fixed retainer repaired on the back of my upper teeth. I can feel my lower teeth biting in to it when I clench my teeth. I don’t trust myself with a removable retainer and if it happens again I am considering asking my orthodontist to fix it on my front teeth instead. Has anyone wore a fixed retainer on the front of their teeth ?

Nozzelnut

Re: Fixed retainer on front of teeth?

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

I won't say no, but probably not. Why would you want a stainless wire cemented to the front of your teeth?
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

jem

Re: Fixed retainer on front of teeth?

#3 Post by jem »

Your older posts suggest that you had your braces removed several years ago and that you have hawley retainers as well as fixed.If your upper fixed retainer is prone to being loosened by contact with your bottom teeth, why not just get it removed? You shouldn't need 24/7 retention so long after your braces were removed; wearing your hawleys at night should be enough. And if you want to display some metal during the day,you always have the option of wearing your hawleys.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194