Happy w/ results, but this lingering joint discomfort...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinkFullOfDinner

Happy w/ results, but this lingering joint discomfort...

#1 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Ok all you been-there-done-that crew, feel free to tell me this issue is fairly common and usually improves over time.

tl;dr version: Have any of you experienced pain in your TM joint in the weeks following debonding, and if so, did it resolve itself over time? Is it just an issue of things eventually settling into place?

Obnoxious version:
Before braces, I would occasionally have joint pain on the left side. Maybe an average of once or twice a month and usually only lasting a day or two before settling back down. Usually it was accompanied by that "off track" feeling as well, but overall I didn't consider it a very big deal. Compared to some people's experience with real TM joint issues, mine was very minor. I didn't even list it as a key goal during consultations.

The good news is that the issue gradually improved when they started working on the bite during the second half of treatment. So that's been a huge success that I hadn't banked on. :thumbsup: The only drawback was over the final 6-8 months, I would occasionally have the same thing start to happen on the right side, instead. :ThumbsDown: I just chalked it up to the elastics getting heavier and it being a temporary issue caused by my jaw being unnaturally yanked around.

Maybe you experienced the same thing during the day when the elastics are pulling one way or the other and your muscles naturally adjust to keep your jaw from getting pulled too far forward or left or right. But when you're asleep, your jaw probably just relaxes and goes with the flow, and the joint gets temporarily pulled a bit out of whack. It was usually in the mornings when things would feel off track, so that's why I assumed it was just a side-effect of the elastics pulling while I'm working on some deep REM. But again, it wasn't that big of a deal, and I wasn't too concerned.

My main issue is that it became more frequent over the first four weeks post-braces, but I just chalked that up to the initial essix retainers throwing the joint off a little by having two layers of material between the back of your bite. Again, I'm thinking it's temporary and things would "settle" once we started with the Hawleys. At least that what I'd heard. But going back and forth now between the essix during the day and the Hawleys at home, as directed, hasn't helped much. In fact, I'm on day 5 in a row of the right side being a little painful when bringing the bite together. That same "off track" feeling, like I have to force it back a little because it's in the wrong "groove." Kind of like the tracks on channel pliers, if you're on the wrong setting. And it tends to get a little worse as the day goes on instead of worse in the morning and improving during the day. Again, not as bad as others' issues, but it's definitely talking to me. Five days is really unusual, but I'm hoping that's it's just a byproduct of bouncing between essix and Hawley.

My question (finally!) is whether it's common - or at least not unheard of - to have a bit of temporary joint pain in the weeks/months after debonding, or during the period when you're alternating between two kinds of retainers (again, as directed), and if you experienced the same thing, did it gradually resolve itself over time when you made the final switch to just Hawleys, or just night time wear, or whatever? Is it just an issue of things eventually settling into place?

I'm not due to go back in for a visit for another 12 weeks, and until then I'll be on this same routine of using both essix and Hawley. I'd prefer to not call the ortho's office if this is common, but if this 5-day example stretches out or begins repeating itself, I'll definitely call, regardless. I suppose worst case scenario, I've just flipped one side for the other. But I'd rather hear that others of you (or even one of you!) had a similar issue resolve itself with this rumored settling!

Sorry for the long post. Seems to be a habit!

djspeece

Re: Happy w/ results, but this lingering joint discomfort...

#2 Post by djspeece »

I have not heard of this being common (but what do I know) but the thing that got my attention is the trend you are describing -- and it doesn't sound to me like things are moving in the right direction. I think you have been patient long enough. I would be concerned that you may be creating a long term issue the longer this persists. And for that reason, I'd recommend a call to the orthodontist for an exam, and if nothing else, reassurance. Best of luck to you. SFOD. Glad you are happy with your results, and best of luck getting this issue resolved.

Also, I like your user name -- is there a story behind it?
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

SinkFullOfDinner

#3 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Sorry for the slow reply.

I was hoping to hear several, "Same thing happened to me. Don't worry. It tapered off once I was able to stop the back and forth between essix and hawley" comments. When it was just crickets for three weeks, I thought "Uh oh. No one else? That's not good." It hasn't been as long-lasting as when I first posted, but it continues to flare up pretty frequently. Every couple of days.

At this point I guess it's time to send them an email rather than wait until the next check in. As you said, I don't want to turn a small issue into a larger one.
djspeece wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 am Also, I like your user name -- is there a story behind it?
It's probably a common story on this board. You finish blasting away at the brackets with the waterpik and look down and what do you see? A sink full of your dinner (and hopefully not anything from breakfast). It's great feedback as to whether you're getting enough veggies in your diet.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

djspeece wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 am Also, I like your user name -- is there a story behind it?
It's probably a common story on this board. You finish blasting away at the brackets with the waterpik and look down and what do you see? A sink full of your dinner (and hopefully not anything from breakfast). It's great feedback as to whether you're getting enough veggies in your diet.
[/quote]

That is funny. So true. Best of luck.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

LisainTX

#5 Post by LisainTX »

dj, if you haven't looked up sinkfullofdinner and read some of his/her posts I highly suggest it. This person should seriously write a book. There were several instances where I literally laughed out loud.

I came here today looking around because I am extremely close to getting my braces off after 2.5 years. Ahh! But I saw your post and wanted to say something. Although I don't have mine off yet, I have had jaw issues and pain. Sometimes before I had braces and sometimes during. More recently on one side.

Sometimes I find that during the day my bite is off and I can't close my mouth without my front teeth and lower teeth hitting and preventing it. BUT....I find that this seems to correct itself over night when I am asleep. I mean, I generally wake up with my mouth closed and my teeth perfectly together - bite just fine.

I believe my issue is that during the day I think I tighten my jaw muscles up while I am working. I tend to do that when I am concentrating. I also play music and do that quite a bit when I am playing....so its always been common. Its just that now it seems to affect my bite.

As weird as it seems, if I chew some gum it seems to loosen my jaws up and correct it too.

I am NOT a doctor, dentist or medical professional of any kind. I am just sharing my opinion and SWAG (scientific wild assed guess).

Good luck! I hope to see update on your situation.