Broken Fixed Retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chickenlady4321

Broken Fixed Retainer

#1 Post by Chickenlady4321 »

So throughout the years my fixed retainer on the bottom has broken several different times. Tonight it broke again. I was told as long as I wear my removable retainers nightly I wouldn’t need the fixed retainer, but my question is, will my removable retainer fit differently now that the fixed wire is broken off and will I have to get a new removable retainer made to fit my teeth without the fixed retainer? Or will the removable retainer still fit good enough?

KittyNat

Re: Broken Fixed Retainer

#2 Post by KittyNat »

I guess it depends what kind of removable retainer you have. I have hawley retainers both top and bottom and permanent retainers. The hawley retainers have extra space built in for my permanent retainers so I am not sure if they would hold my teeth firmly in place enough.

Chickenlady4321

Re: Broken Fixed Retainer

#3 Post by Chickenlady4321 »

Mine are the clear essix retainers. My dentist told me this morning that the retainer should still fit well enough, but I still want to see if anyone else has had this happen and get some other opinions.