Can retainers shift teeth negatively?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chickenlady4321

Can retainers shift teeth negatively?

#1 Post by Chickenlady4321 »

​Hi, I recently had a few different sets of retainers made and it seems like everytime I wear them during the night, the next morning my teeth feel like they don’t fit together. By the end of the day my teeth move back to where they feel comfortable and the process starts over again. I’ve had 3 different pairs of retainers that have done this now. The last pair the orthodontist even had me not wear my retainers for a few days before he took the impressions to make sure my teeth were settle into where they should be, but they are still doing it!!! Is this normal?

turtle

Re: Can retainers shift teeth negatively?

#2 Post by turtle »

My teeth do this too! It bothers me so much! What type of retainers do you use? I have an essix upper and bonded lower. I've heard others say they have this issue too but I'm not sure if the bite is supposed to shift like that. Seems to me like it shouldn't be happening.

Chickenlady4321

#3 Post by Chickenlady4321 »

Mine are essix retainers too. I just don’t understand why they do this. My orthodontist even had me not wear any retainers at all before making the impressions so it should have been made accurate to how my bite had settled. I’m tired of feeling like my teeth don’t belong in my mouth. It’s like the constant moving back and fourth makes them throb too.

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

Chickenlady4321 wrote:Mine are essix retainers too. I just don’t understand why they do this. My orthodontist even had me not wear any retainers at all before making the impressions so it should have been made accurate to how my bite had settled. I’m tired of feeling like my teeth don’t belong in my mouth. It’s like the constant moving back and fourth makes them throb too.
I have the exact same experience and I completely agree.