Me and Essix not getting along!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SpeechLady

Me and Essix not getting along!

#1 Post by SpeechLady »

Just finished braces round #2...20 years after the first time and I am HATING the Essix retainers. Firstly, I am a Speech Therapist and they greatly impacted my speech. And, every since I got them a week ago, ALL I WANT TO DO IS CLENCH!!! I am a total pen top chewer and the material reminds me of that..even the squishy sound the pen top makes! LoL I really like how squeezing as hard as I can feels but I know it's bad...but I can't stop. And I have a feeling I am majorly clenching at night as well..

Going in for a gingivectomy to remove the hunk of gum squished between my top two front teeth. They may need to make new retainers after that is removed so I think I'm going to request a Hawley...I don't have the self control not to clench!

Anyone else have a similar problem?

FlyByNight

Re: Me and Essix not getting along!

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

I had a clenching problem before braces but it went away because I was so afraid to clench after appointments. It hurt so bad. My Essix are trimmed down quite a bit, just so that there is a tiny bit of gum at the top between each tooth. In the back too. I have one pair that gives me a slight lisp, and my main pair that doesn't change anything.

I couldn't put my retainers in without gagging the first day. You definitely get used to them and I don't even know they're in sometimes. See if your ortho can trim yours a little more.

SpeechLady

#3 Post by SpeechLady »

Wow. I can't imagine not feeling these these! The bottom one feels like what I imagine dentures feel like, there is SOOOO much sponginess in the back. I hate it!!! My Ortho is closed for another week but I am definitely calling them when they re-open.

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

SpeechLady wrote:Wow. I can't imagine not feeling these these! The bottom one feels like what I imagine dentures feel like, there is SOOOO much sponginess in the back. I hate it!!! My Ortho is closed for another week but I am definitely calling them when they re-open.
Does your bottom retainer fit all your teeth? My ortho had to remake mine 3 times because when I put it in, it would fit the front few teeth perfectly, but there would be a few millimetres of gap in my molars. It should fit like a glove.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

You may want to consider a Vivera retainer, which resembles an Invisalign tray. They are harder than the Essix and seem longer-lasting. I started with an Essex while awaiting the Viveras to be made but prefer the Vivera because it is less bulky. Many orthodontists have an upcharge for Viveras (i.e., will provide a Hawley or Essix as part of the basic package) but for me it was worth it. Actually now that I think of it he didn't upcharge me because there were some glitches in getting them made :D.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

BlondeCam

#6 Post by BlondeCam »

Yikes! I'm doing the same. Clinching at night and I didn't before. My Hawleys should be ready at my first follow up at the end of Aug. I didn't love the Essix my first round 25 years ago either.