Flossing upper bar between 1:!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jason245

Flossing upper bar between 1:!

#1 Post by Jason245 »

I was debanded on couple of days ago... Yippee..

I got a perm retainer on bottom and a bar placed on my upper 1:! teeth (top front two teeth). It is (comparably) supper easy to floss the bottoms, but I am having a challenge with the top because the space between the teeth are so tight. So far I have attempted a normal floss threader from front to back (too thick), and "superfloss", not strong enough. I have resorted to threading the wire in the back with superfloss, but the plastic tip of the floss seems to prefer poking into my gum pockets instead of shifting to the right or left of the gap (I can get it through the small space by feel pretty quick which is a good thing). I tried flossing from back of mouth down, but that is next to impossible and almost invoked my gag reflex (on top of me not being able to see anything to guide it).

I just bought the Glide Threaded floss and am hoping for a different/better result, but was wondering if anyone here has any experience with upper perm retainers between top front teeth, and how they floss.

Is there a better way? Am I doing it all wrong?

Jason245

Re: Flossing upper bar between 1:!

#2 Post by Jason245 »

As a follow up..

I was able to get that Threader floss (oral B) between my teeth.

No idea how, given that none of the other threaders and floss seemed to work, but it is the best feeling in the world to be able to floss my entire mouth in under 5 minutes.

For anyone else in this boat, just break down and spend the $0.20/floss. It is the only one that really works for tight spaces that other floss threaders/threader flosses can't get through.

I can't wait to floss my teeth again tomorrow just to do it even quicker....