New retainer poor fit

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Qdctrb85y

New retainer poor fit

#1 Post by Qdctrb85y »

I've completed Invisalign Lite. My ortho told me to go to night-wear only for a couple of weeks (he was away and so was I).

I then had moulds taken for, what I believe to be, essix type retainers. The appointment was 11am. I'd had my Invisalign out since 7am. My teeth had moved in those 4hrs. I had my concerns in the week I waited for the retainers to be made. I wore my Invisalign 24/7 whilst waiting.

Because Lo and behold- the new retainers didn't fit at all! I explained that I didn't think my teeth were ready for night-wear only. So my ortho agreed to do new moulds. Said the impressions can shrink or other issues if not put in water immediately.

He has another ortho (I think she is?) take impressions. Whilst the gunk was in there, she presses and holds it firmly against my teeth for the 60 seconds or so it takes. Here's where I get miss perfectionist- she had less pressure on one upper side than the other. Then she removed the tray from the side in a quick movement.

Fast forward to picking up 2nd set of retainers today. Bottom fits great. Snug but even and seated well.

Top retainer feels crooked! I'm a grinder so automatically went to clench my back together. My left side meets first, the right is high and dry. If I push my thumb up on the front centre teeth, the tray becomes loose at the back right molar. If in reverse I press or clench the back right molars, the front middle teeth then aren't seated. It's one or the other.

Expressed my concern to the ortho, he said it's odd for one impression to be inaccurate, but for two it's just unheard of. He told me doesn't consider that "rocking" and it will settle if I wear it full time for a week

Won't this potentially ruin my bite? Shouldn't the retainer fit perfectly first time since the lowers do? I've got the mould with me and yes, the retainer fits it, but I am thinking that the impression was not done 100% right. I got the feeling he wanted me to get over my perfectionist ways and trust him that the retainer will fit better after a week. Aren't they static?

I was wearing the upper retainer for a few hours since picking them up, but have since removed them as they were driving me insane and I have a grinding headache from trying to MAKE them fit! And some anxiety that I'm ruining my Invisalign result

Qdctrb85y

Re: New retainer poor fit

#2 Post by Qdctrb85y »

And I'm not an orthodontist and willing to concede I haven't got the knowledge and experience he does :shock: Wonderibf if anyone else had a wonky essix that turned out fine

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

Your ortho's response seems flippant to me. Your retainer doesn't fit properly, fair and square. If I was you, I would demand a new retainer. I'm wearing an upper Essix as I type this and there is absolutely zero wiggle room.

Also FYI, even though mine fits properly, only one side of my bite makes contact with the lower teeth. For me, it's the right side that can touch with the retainer in.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

My ortho had to remake my bottom Essix 4 times because none of them fit. He gave up and did a full scan of my mouth. A week later they came, fit like a glove.

Qdctrb85y

#5 Post by Qdctrb85y »

I suppose I should wear these for a week then go back to the ortho? If they don't mess up my bite in that time. Sometimes we have to jump through the hoops we're told to go to the next step with medical treatment right?

Wore them through the night and woke up at 4am with an aching face and noticeable contact on the left molars. And the shunting from side to side is the same. I'm really annoyed and questioning whether I'm over-analysing, which I'm prone to doing in life in general

Qdctrb85y

#6 Post by Qdctrb85y »

If my ortho digitally scanned my teeth for the retainer, as he did for invisalign, I might have had an essix set that fit first time. How how I wish! The lab must just create from physical impressions. I'm in Australia and I don't even know if anyone offers Vivera retainers (via invisalign) here. And my essix cost me $380.

If I have the patience, I will wear them for the rest of the week and reassess. I admit that today I've put my old final (grotty) invisalign upper tray in as my bite feels sooo much better than with the new essix.

FlyByNight

#7 Post by FlyByNight »

I would go to your ortho as soon as possible. Your misshaped retainers could ruin your bite.

Qdctrb85y

#8 Post by Qdctrb85y »

Yup. Thanks all for hearing me vent.

I'm going to keep my upper Invisalign tray on, with lower essix. I'll call in a week for an appointment and tell him a white lie that I was wearing the new one like he said and they still don't fit. At least he will think I'm not jumping to conclusions.

Let's face it, they're the thicker kind of essix and ain't no changing the shape of those. It's changing the shape of my teeth to a warped bent version of the perfection I'm so desperate for!