essix retainers and heat

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

litenight

essix retainers and heat

#1 Post by litenight »

Hello guys! So I wanted to know what temperatures are generally required to warp or ruin essix retainers. I am asking this because I accidentally left my retainers right beside the cooling fan of my laptop. The retainers were in their case. When I put them back on they seemed to fit properly, but still I am worried I might have ruined them.

Rebeccasmells

Re: essix retainers and heat

#2 Post by Rebeccasmells »

Yeah you've probably ruined them, after all they don't fit now and have visible damage. :gavel:

Just kidding it's plastic, chill.

bbsadmin

Re: essix retainers and heat

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

In general, you should keep them away from heat sources (out of hot sun in your car or on a window ledge). I don't know what temperature it would take to warp them, but I think that normal situations would be OK. Think about how intense it has to be in a microwave to warp plastic!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!