Teeth/retainer cleaning regimin

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

broadabroad

Teeth/retainer cleaning regimin

#1 Post by broadabroad »

I'm preparing for my debanding date and I'd like to stock up on all of the things I will need to keep my retainers and teeth looking great. I know I will have both a Hawley and Essix retainer for work and I'm wondering what are some tips on setting up a cleaning schedule for your retainers. I plan on wearing the Essix during the day and the Hawley when I sleep. I'm also curious about the best types of flossers for teeth. I have always just used the individual flossers you buy, but it looks like longer strings work better. Thank you for any ideas or advice!

godutch

Re: Teeth/retainer cleaning regimin

#2 Post by godutch »

broadabroad wrote:I'm preparing for my debanding date and I'd like to stock up on all of the things I will need to keep my retainers and teeth looking great. I know I will have both a Hawley and Essix retainer for work and I'm wondering what are some tips on setting up a cleaning schedule for your retainers. I plan on wearing the Essix during the day and the Hawley when I sleep. I'm also curious about the best types of flossers for teeth. I have always just used the individual flossers you buy, but it looks like longer strings work better. Thank you for any ideas or advice!

Flossing is obsolete, use interdental brushes or softpicks, easier and much more effective than flossing. The retainers you can clean with water and regular soap and once a week with cleaning vinegar. Don't use toothpaste to clean them, it's too abrasive and don't really one special cleaning solutions or tablets, use a brush

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

I don't think dentists and hygienists would agree flossing is obsolete, but you do you.

Broadabroad, I have the same "setup" as what you will have; an Essix for the day and a Hawley at night.

Before I was debanded, I bought a retainer bath on Amazon. I got this one: http://a.co/4b9e4ST Note that the lid doesn't actually attach, it just rests on it.

I also bought a box of RetainerBrite but like godutch said, my ortho's office recommended vinegar and water for cleaning.

Personally, I lightly brush both my retainers daily (sometimes with toothpaste, sometimes just water). I try to brush very carefully on the Essix because the bristles can and will scratch it, making it look cloudy.

I use the RetainerBrite about twice a week. My ortho's office recommended once a week but since I'm on 24/7 wear for a year, I figure it's probably better to clean them more frequently. The Hawley goes in for 15min, and the Essix gets 20 minutes. I pop them both in the retainer bath with one RetainerBrite tablet.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

broadabroad

#4 Post by broadabroad »

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm sure I'd rather err on the side of cleaning more as I am almost positive I will be on 24/7 wear for a year as well. This is my second go round in braces and I'm trying to go above and beyond, since my ortho isn't very communcative. I already use a flosser, but I'm counting down the days until I can also use floss easily again. Call me old school, but I like flossing! Is that sad? :oops:

godutch

#5 Post by godutch »

broadabroad wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. I'm sure I'd rather err on the side of cleaning more as I am almost positive I will be on 24/7 wear for a year as well. This is my second go round in braces and I'm trying to go above and beyond, since my ortho isn't very communcative. I already use a flosser, but I'm counting down the days until I can also use floss easily again. Call me old school, but I like flossing! Is that sad? :oops:
Flossing is very hard and just not very effective even when done correctly
jaime wrote:I don't think dentists and hygienists would agree flossing is obsolete, but you do you.
I actually know quite a few ;) and none floss themselves nor recommend it to their patients. You can try yourself, meticulously floss everyday and then switch to using softpicks or interdental brushes and see and smell what comes out

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... C47.f01t02

lambchop

#6 Post by lambchop »

This is taken right from the article link you provided, godutch:

"Twelve trials were included in this review which reported data on two outcomes (dental plaque and gum disease). Trials were of poor quality and conclusions must be viewed as unreliable. The review showed that people who brush and floss regularly have less gum bleeding compared to toothbrushing alone. There was weak, very unreliable evidence of a possible small reduction in plaque. There was no information on other measurements such as tooth decay because the trials were not long enough and detecting early stage decay between teeth is difficult."

Makes it seem like the whole 'study' was a bunch of hooey...why publish an article that admits to using flawed trials and information?

dh892r

#7 Post by dh892r »

[quote="jaime"]I don't think dentists and hygienists would agree flossing is obsolete, but you do you.

Broadabroad, I have the same "setup" as what you will have; an Essix for the day and a Hawley at night.[/quote]

Hey Broadabroad and Jamie,
Question(s)- can you explain why you have both an Essix during the day and Hawley at night?

Was this something your ortho typically does or did you request it?

The reason I ask, my orthodontist seems keen on me choosing one. The Hawley is included in my price paid for treatment but the essix (Vivera) is an additional $400. I want a clear retainer for during the day and out of sheer principle (I am not receiving a discount) want to have the Hawley made. Maybe take stress off the Viveras at night.

Also, do you like it? Had you known what you know now, would you have made the same decision? Are you happy with retention?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions! Just want to better understand.

FlyByNight

#8 Post by FlyByNight »

Flossing: I take a string as long as my forearm and wrap each end twice around both ring fingers. The. I can use my index and thumbs to guide the floss. In the centre of two teeth, go once down under each side of the gumlines.

I brush my Essix retainers every day before I go to sleep. I stick them in a bath of denture cleaner about once a month.

I did not type the spam part^^
Last edited by FlyByNight on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FlyByNight

#9 Post by FlyByNight »

No idea what happened but I didn't type that spam part.

jaime

#10 Post by jaime »

FlyByNight wrote:No idea what happened but I didn't type that spam part.
Whatever you typed triggered that censor. Glad you're not actually a spammer, though!
dh892r wrote: Hey Broadabroad and Jamie,
Question(s)- can you explain why you have both an Essix during the day and Hawley at night?

Also, do you like it? Had you known what you know now, would you have made the same decision? Are you happy with retention?
Hey dh892,

My contract included one retainer. By default, they give everyone a Hawley (unless you really dig in and insist on an Essix). I got my Hawley and asked them make me an Essix (it was $200).

I wanted the Essix for the daytime because it's invisible and doesn't cause a lisp. I got good at talking with the Hawley but it does require extra effort to annunciate. The only bad thing about the Essix is you should take it out when drinking anything that isn't water. I hate eating and then popping it back into my mouth; I'm worried about it causing cavities. I usually brush my teeth quickly before putting it back in after a meal, but that's not always feasible. It's less of a concern with a Hawley.

I'm happy with the decision. I had metal in my mouth for 3 years, I just wanted to move on from it all. It isn't really any extra hassle having two retainers. I throw them both in together to soak with Retainer Brite every few days.

My teeth still look perfect, granted it's only been 4 months since I got my braces off.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

The "spam" that popped up was a word that triggered the word censor filter. That word is censored because actual spammers had been trying to post spam related to that product.

For the record, if you don't want plaque buildup to start on your retainer, you need to clean it every single night with a product that kills the bacteria and strips away the plaque. If you brush your Essix retainers, you will put microscopic scratches into the plastic which will, over time, cause more plaque and bacteria buildup. Soaking is best for clear plastic Essix retainers and aligners. It doesn't matter which retainer cleaner you use, but you need to use it daily.

If your retainer already has white/yellow plaque buildup, Retainer Brite won't get it off. Retainer Brite is best for maintenance of retainers which are already fairly clean. If you have buildup on your retainers or aligners, SonicBrite or DentaSoak are both powerful enough to get the plaque off with 3 to 5 consecutive soakings.

And remember, if your retainer contains metal solder, you should not soak it in retainer cleaner or denture cleaner, because soaking will break down the solder, causing it to turn black and fall off. If you're not sure whether your retainer contains metal solder, ask your orthodontist or dentist.

Just my 2cents!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

dh892r

#12 Post by dh892r »

[quote="jaime"][quote="FlyByNight"]No idea what happened but I didn't type that spam part.[/quote]

Whatever you typed triggered that censor. Glad you're not actually a spammer, though!

[quote="dh892r"]
Hey Broadabroad and Jamie,

Also, do you like it? Had you known what you know now, would you have made the same decision? Are you happy with retention? [/quote]

Hey dh892,

My contract included one retainer. By default, they give everyone a Hawley (unless you really dig in and insist on an Essix). I got my Hawley and asked them make me an Essix (it was $200).

I wanted the Essix for the daytime because it's invisible and doesn't cause a lisp. I got good at talking with the Hawley but it does require extra effort to annunciate. The only bad thing about the Essix is you should take it out when drinking anything that isn't water. I hate eating and then popping it back into my mouth; I'm worried about it causing cavities. I usually brush my teeth quickly before putting it back in after a meal, but that's not always feasible. It's less of a concern with a Hawley.

I'm happy with the decision. I had metal in my mouth for 3 years, I just wanted to move on from it all. It isn't really any extra hassle having two retainers. I throw them both in together to soak with Retainer Brite every few days.

My teeth still look perfect, granted it's only been 4 months since I got my braces off.[/quote]

Thank you Jamie. This is helpful. I understand with wanting to be done. I underwent double jaw surgery in January and am ready to be done, myself.

Felina Grimm

#13 Post by Felina Grimm »

bbsadmin wrote: And remember, if your retainer contains metal solder, you should not soak it in retainer cleaner or denture cleaner, because soaking will break down the solder, causing it to turn black and fall off. If you're not sure whether your retainer contains metal solder, ask your orthodontist or dentist.

Just my 2cents!
I just got my Hawleys today (with solder) and the ortho said I could use denture cleaner with them. She said nothing happened to hers when she soaked hers. I even asked her at least three times.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017