What retainers did you have? Do you like them?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

corbanderson01

Re: What retainers did you have? Do you like them?

#16 Post by corbanderson01 »

I just got my Essix retainer today for my top teeth and will get the one for my lower teeth tomorrow. I haven't had any pain yet. I was looking into getting Hawley retainers to allow me to have colored drinks with them in. Do most orthodontists make you pay for a second retainer?

testimony777

#17 Post by testimony777 »

I have fixed retainers on the top and bottom. So far they are completely fine; flossing was fairly easy (compared to what I used to have to do) and they are comfortables. I will get a clear retainer next week but I only have to wear it at night so I am not anticipating that being too much of a problem either.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

JPG1081

#18 Post by JPG1081 »

I just (unexpectedly) got my braces off today. I have a fixed wire retainer on the top, but it's a really long one covering extra teeth. Next week I'll be getting an Essix to wear at night.

I'm hoping I'll be OK with them both...

dyna

#19 Post by dyna »

I have fixed only, unfortunately my upper tooth shifted a bit due to the breaking of my fix retainer and my bottom teeth shifted quite a lot due to my wisdom tooth. :(

djspeece

#20 Post by djspeece »

I use the Vivera retainer and love it. Normally, it an upcharge is collected, as the standard Hawley is included in the overall fee. However, due to a minor mix-up in his office, my ortho comped them for me. I get 4 sets of them. I only wear them at night. I am still on my first one after two years, so they are very durable. I use one of the newer ones from time to time to make sure that it is still doing the job -- and it is!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying