Taking retainers off briefly

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hare

Taking retainers off briefly

#1 Post by hare »

Occasionally I get peckish enough that I take my retainers off for a snack, especially if it's preventing me from sleeping. I'm supposed to wear my retainers 8 hours a day, ideally overnight during sleep.

My question is, would taking the retainers off before 8 hours has elapsed reset this to any degree?

e.g. if I wore the retainers for 6 hours, took them off for 10-20 minutes for a snack and then put them on again, would I need to wear them for anything longer than the remaining 2 hours?

I almost always wear them for at least 15-30 minutes longer than 8 hours anyway (sometimes even a few hours more) but would like to know about this just in case.

Bracingfor33

Re: Taking retainers off briefly

#2 Post by Bracingfor33 »

I'm sure having it out for that short amount of time won't hurt. I would just be sure to not make a habit out of removing it; bad habits happen quick.

jaime

Re: Taking retainers off briefly

#3 Post by jaime »

Taking them out briefly isn't a big deal at all, so no worries. There isn't anything magical about 8 hours.

You're right, it's more about not developing the habit of leaving it out. As long as you're more or less doing what they tell you, you'll be okay. I'm supposed to wear mine 24/7 but I have left it out for hours at a time if it just wasn't feasible to keep it in (e.g. Christmas, out for a meal at a restaurant). My ortho's office told me up front it's fine to do that if need be, just don't get lazy.

If it's any consolation, I didn't get my retainer for 2 weeks after my braces came off and I was perfectly fine.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)