Essix and drooling

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kacmins

Essix and drooling

#1 Post by kacmins »

Does anyone else drool because of Essix retainers? I wear them only at night and every time I go to bed I start drooling just before falling asleep and it always wakes me up.

It's been ~90 days since I was debraced and it's been like this since the beginning. Does it stop at some point? I am already having trouble sleeping as it is and I never had this problem with braces.

mapleleafman888

Re: Essix and drooling

#2 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Hey! So I've been wearing upper and lower essix retainers for 21 months and the experience you're describing still happens to me occasionally, but not too often ( only using essix at night now though). It's annoying yes, but I guess the saliva just runs over the plastic like a slide... :o

On a different note, one thing I will say is to keep regularly cleaning your essix, I feel the essix wear traps bacteria and old saliva and has caused mild decay in the bicuspids and molars for me.

Good luck!
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!