my tongue hurts!!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ompatel13

my tongue hurts!!!

#1 Post by ompatel13 »

i just got my essix retainer after 2 years and 8 months with braces and it hurt a lot. It was probably the worst pain i've ever felt in my teeth and it was very difficult to talk and my tongue was hurting too. It's been a few days and everything is starting to get better except my tongue. I looked at the bottom retainer and noticed something by my molars which looks to be causing the pain and discomfort. One side is lower than the other and my tongue rests above it. Although the higher one keeps rubbing against my tongue and causing pain when i move my tongue, talk, or swallow. I don't know what to do. Please help, I see my orthodontist in about a month from now.

ompatel13

Re: my tongue hurts!!!

#2 Post by ompatel13 »

forgot to mention that only one side of my tongue hurts, the side thats lower is completely fine

ompatel13

essix retainer and tongue

#3 Post by ompatel13 »

[quote="ompatel13"]i just got my essix retainer after 2 years and 8 months with braces and it hurt a lot. It was probably the worst pain i've ever felt in my teeth and it was very difficult to talk and my tongue was hurting too. It's been a few days and everything is starting to get better except my tongue. I looked at the bottom retainer and noticed something by my molars which looks to be causing the pain and discomfort. One side is lower than the other and my tongue rests above it. Although the higher one keeps rubbing against my tongue and causing pain when i move my tongue, talk, or swallow. I don't know what to do. Please help, I see my orthodontist in about a month from now.[/quote]

NeilH

#4 Post by NeilH »

Hi, if it's a sharp piece of the retainer material I would head back to your ortho for it to be trimmed. Is that what you are describing?

ompatel13

#5 Post by ompatel13 »

thank you but my tongue seems to be getting much better. All I had to do was train my tongue to stay on the other side of my mouth