Does anyone have a flossable permanent retainer?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MonaLisa

Does anyone have a flossable permanent retainer?

#1 Post by MonaLisa »

So I've seen this type of retainer online and was wondering if any of you guys ever heard of it. Or have it better yet. :) I don't think too many orthos are doing this, but if it works like a regular permanent retainer (and I'm not sure if does!) I don't see why it shouldn't be adopted as the standard!

Here's a link to it on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535576580670196861/

I am not sure if these even exist or if they're just a joke.

EWUgal15

Re: Does anyone have a flossable permanent retainer?

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

It looks like there are a few different types of "flossable" retainers out there...the first one I saw with your link looked like you would still need to thread the floss under the retainer in order to floss the gum line. Since my permanent retainer is only on the lower front 6, it doesn't really take me that long to thread. It gets easier with practice and really doesn't add too much time to the routine.

ChrisPowers

#3 Post by ChrisPowers »

If they're just a joke, then this guy's taking it way too far:

https://vimeo.com/104760432

Has anybody tried these or know of anyone who has? I've seen some comments in the past suggesting that the "springy" nature of them makes them more prone to losing their rigidity and thus not working as designed, but it sounded like a lot of speculation. They need to make these things out of titanium, though.

BlondeCam

#4 Post by BlondeCam »

They seem like they would be amazing!

maryedenissa

#5 Post by maryedenissa »

woah! looks like something we need for us who will be needing permanent retainers.

Though i read somewhere that they recommend waterpick for flossing