Anyone have a bonded retainer AND a hawley?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lmk

Anyone have a bonded retainer AND a hawley?

#1 Post by lmk »

Okay, I have a question. I had my braces off months ago and had a bonded retainer on the bottom with a removable essix for night time wear. On top I just had a hawley retainer but was having a problem with some slight movement so my orthodontist put a bonded retainer on top and ordered a new hawley for night time wear. I had an appointment today and the ortho could hardly get the retainer in. So when it came time for me to try it took FOREVER and I finally did it. Once. So here's the big problem....the part of the retainer where the acrylic would rest against the back of your teeth doesn't come close to touching my teeth. I can put my entire fingernail in the space! I thought it was supposed to touch like my old one did and I mentioned that to the ortho and she said its fine because of the bonded retainer. Anyone else have a space like that?? It feels like the wire wants to push by teeth inward towards the acrylic since there is no support behind my teeth since there is a big gap. I feel it doesn't fit properly and I was just being dismissed by her. I don't think it should be so difficult to put in either. My old one wasnt. What do you think?? :cry:

lmk

Re: Anyone have a bonded retainer AND a hawley?

#2 Post by lmk »

Also wanted to add that it's a wrap around hawley retainer. Trying to upload a photo, but having trouble doing so.

EWUgal15

#3 Post by EWUgal15 »

I'm supposed to pick up a lower Hawley today to go with my bonded retainer. I can report back for you!

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

Ok...I can get the edge of my fingernail between the acrylic and my teeth, but not enough to really do anything. My Hawley is pretty tight, but that's reassuring for me. I think if there's a ton of room between your teeth and the acrylic, you should probably have it adjusted by your orthodontist.

NeilH

#5 Post by NeilH »

I have the same issue. The bonded retainer does make it more of a challenge and my lower one has several sharp points were is just makes contact with the teeth between the composite holding the bonded retainer in place.

My previous upper Hawley used to fit the same but when it broke I received a new one which doesn't touch the back of my teeth which I find so annoying. My ortho assured me it doesn't need to as the bonded retainer will keep everything in place but it just feels wrong.

Maybe worth mentioning it and seeing if they can make you a new one?

Clarmik

#6 Post by Clarmik »

Why do you need both a permanent and a removable? In my country, it's usually one or the other.

jem

#7 Post by jem »

My hawley fits quite snugly up to my bonded retainer
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

I have both. The permanent is only on the first six teeth. Without the Hawley in addition to it, the premolars/molars would not have any retention. Plus the permanent is only behind the teeth. It does not prevent them from going forward.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Clarmik

#9 Post by Clarmik »

oldfart wrote:I have both. The permanent is only on the first six teeth. Without the Hawley in addition to it, the premolars/molars would not have any retention. Plus the permanent is only behind the teeth. It does not prevent them from going forward.
That's interesting. My molars have never moved despite not having any retention and my front teeth have never moved forward despite only having a permanent retainer.

NeilH

#10 Post by NeilH »

I have three different types, fixed to the front six teeth, upper and lower Hawley's and Essix as well. They all serve different purposes and I'm not taking any chances!

EWUgal15

#11 Post by EWUgal15 »

NeilH wrote:I have three different types, fixed to the front six teeth, upper and lower Hawley's and Essix as well. They all serve different purposes and I'm not taking any chances!
I pick this boat. After everything I went through for my teeth, I'll do whatever I can to make it last. I had extractions, so a lower overlay paired with the permanent retainer is designed to keep the gaps from reopening and causing crowding.
jem wrote:My hawley fits quite snugly up to my bonded retainer
This too. Even though there's a bit of a gap between the acrylic and my teeth, everything is still wrapped up nice and neat. So nice and neat that removing my Hawley is a bit of a challenge but I'm only on night 2 with it.

samoorelaw

#12 Post by samoorelaw »

I have a permanent on my lower front 6 teeth, an upper and lower wraparound Hawley, and a positioner that acts like an Essix in that it covers each individual tooth. The Hawleys must be doing their job because the positioner still fits like a glove. With my prior relapse issues, I'm not taking any chances!
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

lmk

#13 Post by lmk »

NeilH wrote:I have the same issue. The bonded retainer does make it more of a challenge and my lower one has several sharp points were is just makes contact with the teeth between the composite holding the bonded retainer in place.

My previous upper Hawley used to fit the same but when it broke I received a new one which doesn't touch the back of my teeth which I find so annoying. My ortho assured me it doesn't need to as the bonded retainer will keep everything in place but it just feels wrong.

Maybe worth mentioning it and seeing if they can make you a new one?
Thanks everyone for responding! I've been traveling for work and I'm finally reading this.
NeilH, you don't feel like the wire on your hawley retainer wants to push your teeth back towards the acrylic in any way? I feel like mine does just a little bit. It's so weird because having a permanent retainer I wouldn't think that was even possible but in the morning (only wear it at night) my top central incisors slightly hit the bottom ones for a few hours and then it's fine the rest of the day. I have an appointment with the ortho next week. Hopefully she listens to my concerns this time and I can get a new one, because as it is now I don't like it. The gap behind my teeth and acrylic is quite large.

NeilH

#14 Post by NeilH »

My first one felt like it was moving the teeth ever so slightly and in a good way as my bite felt so much tighter and together. This new Hawley doesn't do that which I don't know if it is a good or bad thing. The permanent retainer will stop much movement but I think the tightness of the Hawley pushing against the wire would make everything feel nice and snug. The gap between my teeth and the acrylic is far too big and what I find most annoying is that it is sharp like it's been attempted to fit around the fixed wire but then shrank away from the teeth and now serves no purpose at all.

lmk

#15 Post by lmk »

NeilH, Your description of your hawley is EXACTLY how mine is. Very large (and in my opinion unnecessary) gap. But it must be normal and I do feel better now because I really thought mine was made wrong. I'm still going to the ortho next week just to see what she says about my bite feeling weird in the morning and will post an update. Thanks! !