Acid on teeth

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

noorcas

Acid on teeth

#1 Post by noorcas »

Hi,
a month ago I finished having braces and received a clear retainer to use constantly. I use it only during the night.
In the morning when I remove the retainer, there is a very acidic taste on my teeth, from the saliva that has been trapped the whole night between the teeth and the retainer.
I have read that this can very easily cause tooth decay. I also read that brushing the teeth immediately after such exposure to acid can effectively damage and even remove the enamel.

I do not know what to do. I have my next orthodontist appointment in a month. There is very little information on the internet about the effects of acid due to retainer wear.

So far, the only solution i see is to wear the retainer during the day (at least 8 hours), so i can remove it from time to time and rinse my teeth.

Does anyone has any experience with this? I am really interested to know more.

Thank you.

breysanchez

Re: Acid on teeth

#2 Post by breysanchez »

Bump

I'm in the same boat. :shock:
Sex: Female
Braces: Damon Clear (top) Metal (bottom)
Sentence: 24-30 months

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

One of the many reasons I switched to a Hawley retainer. My essix was a bacteria magnet.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

lambchop

#4 Post by lambchop »

As long as you've thoroughly brushed and flossed, shouldn't the same spit that normally accumulates on your teeth during the night without a retainer be the same crap that accumulates inside your retainer during the same time frame? I'm only 3 months out of braces after nearly 5 years, but it seems like mouth chemistry is mouth chemistry...either you're prone to stuff or you're not. I will say that I want to flush my mouth out with fresh water in the morning after taking out my Essix, but it doesn't seem too much worse than when my braces were in. I swish, eat breakfast, then brush soon after...so far, so good!

SingleJawMelb

#5 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Isn't Invasalign the same?

turtle

#6 Post by turtle »

I have the same issue with my clear retainer. I am especially worried since I have acid reflux. I plan to ask my orthodontist about it the next time I go in for a check up.

BlondeCam

#7 Post by BlondeCam »

lambchop wrote:As long as you've thoroughly brushed and flossed, shouldn't the same spit that normally accumulates on your teeth during the night without a retainer be the same crap that accumulates inside your retainer during the same time frame? I'm only 3 months out of braces after nearly 5 years, but it seems like mouth chemistry is mouth chemistry...either you're prone to stuff or you're not. I will say that I want to flush my mouth out with fresh water in the morning after taking out my Essix, but it doesn't seem too much worse than when my braces were in. I swish, eat breakfast, then brush soon after...so far, so good!
This is my basic routine as well. I haven't noticed a particularly acidic taste. Also I only put them in after brushing and keep them in a glass with denture cleaner to kill bacteria when I'm not wearing.