Broken Hawley Retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NeilH

Broken Hawley Retainer

#1 Post by NeilH »

I'm really annoyed! This happened as I removed my retainer this morning. I still have an Essix retainer to keep everything in place but really liked this one, it was comfortable and effective and I hope the replacement is just as good. I have a retainer checkup coming up in a couple of weeks so will ask to get another one then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldfart

Re: Broken Hawley Retainer

#2 Post by oldfart »

My worst nightmare. Been lucky so far. I wouldnt wait.. I cant stand the Essix so I would have been on the phone the same day to get a new one made.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

NeilH

#3 Post by NeilH »

I had a routine retainer check and ortho appointment this evening. My upper Hawley is going to be replaced so I had impressions for another one and a further appointment scheduled for it to be fitted in a couple of weeks. Until then, I will be relying on my Essix to keep everything in place.

Clarmik

#4 Post by Clarmik »

What happened?

NeilH

#5 Post by NeilH »

Clarmik wrote:What happened?
I really have no idea, I went to remove it one morning and found the front wire to be broken. I don't know if this happened as I removed it or whether it broke overnight. Maybe there was a fault in the wire or something happened to weaken it but I'm certainly looking forward to getting my new one soon.

NeilH

#6 Post by NeilH »

I picked up my new Hawley retainer a few days ago and I can't believe how different it is to my previous one. My first one fitted like a glove, this one feels like it's someone else's glove! It does fit well but just not in the same way as the other one did. The retainer looks pretty similar but the most obvious difference is that the acrylic just behind the top front teeth has been cut too far back and doesn't appear to touch the top teeth. This makes the front of the retainer quite sharp and not that comfortable to wear. I feel like I might be complaining but there is more I'm not happy with. Where the wire bow comes out just behind one incisor, it is too low which means I can't close my teeth properly, just moving the wire a fraction of a mm towards the back would sort this problem out but with the acrylic providing support, this can't be done. This also causes the wire at the front to appear not straight as it crosses my front teeth at an angle. I'm sure the retainer is effective but these little details are sending my OCD into overdrive and I think I may need to say something about it when I next visit. Those of you who have followed my story know that I'm not one to complain but retainers are so much more complicated than braces and I think they need to be right to encourage regular wear.

oldfart

#7 Post by oldfart »

Call and get it adjusted. It should fit like a glove not an oven mitt.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

NeilH

#8 Post by NeilH »

oldfart wrote:Call and get it adjusted. It should fit like a glove not an oven mitt.
You are probably right. They have been so good to me I don't want to appear ungrateful and waste their time but it might as well fit properly, that way I'm more inclined to wear it.