Is it possible to outgrow retainers that were fitted before puberty?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CCmakes3

Is it possible to outgrow retainers that were fitted before puberty?

#1 Post by CCmakes3 »

My 16 year old son had braces from the age of about 10-13 to correct a serious overbite. He had his braces removed and retainers made just after he turned 13. He was a very "late bloomer" and had not even begun puberty at that point. I asked the orthodontist if his jaw might grow enough during puberty to affect the fit of the retainer and was told there was no way this would happen. It seemed odd to me because I have an older son whose jaw really became a lot more prominent as he went through puberty, and I thought I remembered reading that the jaw is one of the many structures of the body that is affected by testosterone. Well, sure enough, fast forward 3 years and not only is my son complaining of the retainer feeling too tight, but it looks to me like his overbite is becoming prominent again. I am willing to concede that he may have skipped a few nights here or there, but I know he's been wearing them regularly. Is there really no chance at all that the jaw would grow during puberty and affect the fit of the retainer?

bbsadmin

Re: Is it possible to outgrow retainers that were fitted before puberty?

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

You need to take your son back to the orthodontist for a consultation and a retainer check.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

CCmakes3

Re: Is it possible to outgrow retainers that were fitted before puberty?

#3 Post by CCmakes3 »

Thank you. I will.