Standard Hawley vs Wrap Around Hawley

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clarmik

Standard Hawley vs Wrap Around Hawley

#1 Post by Clarmik »

What's the difference?

lmk

Re: Standard Hawley vs Wrap Around Hawley

#2 Post by lmk »

I have a wraparound hawley and the wire basically covers every tooth. Starting on the last molar and wrapping all the way around to the last molar on the other side. Hope that makes sense! A stand hawley will just have a wire covering the 6 front teeth, I believe. I read somewhere that the teeth "settle" differently in each appliance, so the ortho will use what is best for that person.

samoorelaw

#3 Post by samoorelaw »

As indicated, wraparounds go completely around all the teeth. See pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

How is your speech with that much of your palette covered by acrylic? I have upper and lower Essix retainers, so my palette isn't too obstructed. The most trouble I've had so far comes with sh- words...and it's not super noticeable unless I'm really tired.

samoorelaw

#5 Post by samoorelaw »

EWUgal15 wrote:How is your speech with that much of your palette covered by acrylic? I have upper and lower Essix retainers, so my palette isn't too obstructed. The most trouble I've had so far comes with sh- words...and it's not super noticeable unless I'm really tired.
I do lisp a bit but mostly with the "s" and "sh" words, but I find when I make an effort to open my mouth wider when I speak, it forces me to enunciate more and the lisping isn't as noticeable. The more you talk with them, the more you get used to them. These retainers are actually quite comfortable: I prefer them over Essix because they are more durable, you can drink any liquid with them in, they don't make me feel like my teeth are suffocating (because they aren't encased in plastic), and they provide better retention for arch-expansion cases.

oldfart

#6 Post by oldfart »

Damn, I have about twice as much acrylic in mine. My palate is covered all the way past my last molars. Your bottom is almost identical though. I slur a bit too, and can't make K sounds since I have a tongue guard in the back.
retainers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

EWUgal15

#7 Post by EWUgal15 »

I'd go out of my way to talk funny with that much acrylic. Are you still going with 24 hour wear?

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

Well.. come to mention it.. no.. I got lazy this summer, and for half of the summer did nights only. And from the front didn't notice much of a difference. But a few days before my retainer check I took a pic from an upward angle and saw a decent offset between my front two. This pic actually makes it look a bit worse than it is as the teeth are slightly different length. So had a few more bends added to move this tooth back and now am back to 24 hr wearing as it is really sore and I cant be moving it in and out of the retainers and expect it to stay.
14011882_10154438991971457_599436127_n.jpg

samoorelaw

#9 Post by samoorelaw »

Wow, that is a lot of acrylic. I have at least 8 more weeks of full time wear and then just nights but I'm so paranoid about movement that I may wear them full time for longer.

Clarmik

#10 Post by Clarmik »

oldfart wrote:Damn, I have about twice as much acrylic in mine. My palate is covered all the way past my last molars. Your bottom is almost identical though. I slur a bit too, and can't make K sounds since I have a tongue guard in the back.
retainers.png
Holy moly, that's a lot of acrylic! Is it an older model?

I'll be getting mine in a couple of weeks and I sure hope it won't have that much acrylic as I'm afraid it'll make me gag.

oldfart

#11 Post by oldfart »

No, its brand new (as of last Dec) . I had molar cross bite issues, which means they have to make it strong in the back to keep the molars from sliding in and to maintain the width of the arch. So the best way to do that is to make it full palate acrylic. Also the other thing I had fixed was the closing of a gap caused my a molar extraction. This was a huge gap so to make sure that tooth stays where it was moved to they have both wire and acrylic behind the tooth. (here is a pic of the gap. Yes, that back molar was moved all the way forward to close that gap.)
gap.JPG
The third thing mine does (and why it affects my speech) is that it helps protect the closing of a posterior open bite caused by posterior tongue thrust. Basically my tongue rests on my teeth too much. It has a tongue guard built on the sides so my tongue cannot rest on my top teeth at all.

art

#12 Post by art »

I ended up with a wraparound. The wires for the standard don't fit between my teeth because they are too tight, so the wraparound goes from the front bow around my back molars to hold it in place. The wire is thicker, and the palette, I guess, too to give it structural strength so it doesn't brake when I take it out.

art

#13 Post by art »

The wire on mine is .036 as opposed to .030 so maybe it's more noticeable, with acrylic on the bow, and a full palate which makes it hard to talk.

art

#14 Post by art »

My wire does not touch all teeth. It seems like the acrylic pushes out and the wire only touches from the incisors across thenfront-but my labial bow has acrylic across the front, so the acrylic touches my teeth, not the wire.

sneed1o1

#15 Post by sneed1o1 »

Here's a picture of what I have. I also have a clear one on top that I wear during the day. These hawleys are tight, especially the bottom! I