Tomorrow is the big day

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Candyland

Tomorrow is the big day

#1 Post by Candyland »

I finally get my braces off tomorrow, so I thought it would be good to do a comparison of how far my teeth have come during this journey. This is my first day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Candyland

Re: Tomorrow is the big day

#2 Post by Candyland »

It wouldn't let me add more photos so here is today. There are many, many things I still don't like about my teeth, but for now I have chosen to celebrate the end of this experience, and not dwell on what could have been. :) The biggest positives I notice between these pictures are the spaces that have been closed between my molars, and how much more wide and rounded my top arch has become. I will post 'braces free' photos tomorrow :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeilH

#3 Post by NeilH »

Congratulations on getting to the end and good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure you are going to be pleased with the result, teeth often look so much better without braces so you might be pleasantly surprised.

Candyland

#4 Post by Candyland »

They're off! They look a lot better than I could have imagined. First thoughts when seeing them: wow they look really long, and I don't like them at all. Thankfully that passed really quickly and I kind of like the way they look now. At any rate I am very happy to be out of braces. I was really regretting my decision to get ceramic brackets once she started removing those. The metal brackets in the back came off with just a little pop, but the ceramic brackets were painful! The top were the worst, they kept shattering and she would have to keep scraping at the tooth the get the base of the bracket off. Once the brackets were gone it took about 10 minutes to file off the glue. It smelled really bad but didn't hurt.

Next thing was learning how to use the retainers. I have a THIS COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR. Hawley on top, and regular wrap-around Hawley on the bottom. The bottom retainer wouldn't fit. She kept putting in and taking it back out to trim. In and out, in and out, probably 20 times. I knew something was wrong. She said we would do another impression to have a new one made, and that this one would help hold things in place until then. I go back in 2 weeks for a recheck and to get the new retainer. The acrylic on the bottom one doesn't sit flush against my teeth and palate unless pushed down. It keeps wanting to pop out at the slightest pressure. Hopefully the new one will be better. I will do a full post on retainers after I have had them a few days to get the feel of things.

dreamrio

#5 Post by dreamrio »

Your teeth look beautiful!

Can I ask you, did they make impressions for your retainers while you had your braces still on? I thought they'd have to remove them first.

Candyland

#6 Post by Candyland »

I had impressions done with my braces still on. They just removed the archives first. It was difficult to get the impression molds out but nothing too bad.