Teeth hurt after braces removed?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lizmarie

Teeth hurt after braces removed?

#1 Post by Lizmarie »

Did anyone's teeth hurt after braces were removed? It's been 1 week and my orthodontist assures me that my X-rays look great and no reason for them to hurt. She just told me to start wearing my retainer full time instead of 12 hours a day. Its my front top 2 teeth that hurt. It's not already consistent it kind comes and goes. Has anyone experienced this?

djspeece

Re: Teeth hurt after braces removed?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I've experienced some discomfort if I've had the retainer off for more than an hour (I was debraced October 29, 2015). I'm surprised at how quickly teeth seem to want to return to their previous position, especially considering how long it took for them to move! The first week was the worst, and I assume it is also due to the teeth "settling" post debracing. I had this idea that life after braces would be super easy, and compared to having braces it is much better, but I look at this only as phase II of ongoing treatment. Hope you are feeling better soon!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Lizmarie

#3 Post by Lizmarie »

Thanks for the response. The hurting that I was having seemed to stop but if I go longer than 2 hours without my retainer my teeth start to ache. My orthodontist said that I only had to wear my retainers for 12 hours a day but seems like I have to wear them all the time so they don't hurt. This is so weird and makes me wish I would have never gotten braces.

teeebeee

#4 Post by teeebeee »

I've been really religious about wearing my retainer but, on Saturday last, it was off from about 7pm til 2am. Boy, that was uncomfortable to get back in and, as has been said, it's amazing how much they want to shift back! However, all was ok after a few minutes but it was a salutary lesson.

No matter what, though, I will never, ever regret getting braces!

T xx

mrscetrone

#5 Post by mrscetrone »

My teeth are super sensitive and achy but I just got them off yesterday.