Deband soon!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newbite

Deband soon!

#1 Post by newbite »

I can't believe I'm getting my top braces off this Friday!!! It doesn't seem real. And then on the following Wed I'm getting my crown placed on the bottom and my bottom braces taken off. I think I also get my top Essix retainer. Then I go back the next day to get my bottom Essix. They're also giving me permanent retainers on top and bottom right after deband.

I suspect retainers are going to be more difficult than braces since you can't eat whenever you want and have to clean even more obsessively. Oh well, at least it will be easier and faster to floss and brush.

I'm worried that the thickness of the retainers is going to mess up my bite and hurt my jaw. I guess I can always get hawleys if that happens, but I'm not excited about the idea of the super thick wires.

I've gotten to a nice stasis point with braces and it's kind of scary moving on to the next stage!
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

Zonda

Re: Deband soon!

#2 Post by Zonda »

Getting mine off tomorrow top and bottom, it's been 3 years and 2 months, can't wait!

newbite

#3 Post by newbite »

Zonda, I hope your deband went well! More than 3 years, wow you must be ecstatic!!

Tomorrow is debrace day for me for the top. I am totally ready to have the top off. Then I can start whitening so I can eventually get the front teeth evened with bonding.

My bottom braces are scheduled to come off next Wed but I don't know if it's going to happen. One of my second molars broke last week (on the bottom) and I had to get a crown. They had to remove the last two brackets on that side and also remove the tiebacks from both sides. Amazingly, my bottom teeth are like "hey, no more tiebacks, let's all start moving!" And in just a week I have spaces opened up all over the bottom and one of my bottom teeth has drifted forward and started rotating. Seriously?! Just because of no tiebacks and two missing brackets in the back?

Needless to say (then why say it?) I won't be getting my braces off if there are random spaces between my teeth. So, I have to hope they'll put those two brackets back on tomorrow (apparently the temporary crowns bond well with brackets since they're plastic), give me a new full size wire, put the tiebacks on (and maybe a full arch powerchain??) so that the gaps will close in, oh, uh FIVE days.....

If I can't get the bottom braces off next week it will push debrace into December or even later because of their schedule. And that would suck because I wouldn't be able to get my final crown until my braces are off.

Well, it will work out no matter what.
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

newbite

#4 Post by newbite »

I am 100% braces free! My crown ended up fitting really well, fortunately. I have permanent retainers on top and bottom and I just got my top Essix. I get my bottom Essix tomorrow.

I have to wear the Essix retainers 16 hr/day and the permanents for at least a year.

Zonda

#5 Post by Zonda »

Mine are gone now and the result and feeling is great, I can eat what I like when I like once more hence piling on 4 pounds already! Booked in to get them whitened in a couple of weeks. :D