People who have worn both Hawley and Essix retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sth1988

People who have worn both Hawley and Essix retainers

#1 Post by sth1988 »

Which do/did you find more comfortable? I had Essix retainers when I originally went through braces, and really didn't enjoy wearing them (though I persevered), as they were so uncomfortable. I also found I was waking up in the morning with them in the bed, rather than my mouth! I wasn't given the choice of Hawleys, but I wasn't aware of them at the time.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? :?

oldfart

Re: People who have worn both Hawley and Essix retainers

#2 Post by oldfart »

Previous attempt with braces had both. Hawley was much easier to keep clean. No matter how hard I tried to keep it clean, the Essix just had a slimy feel to it.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

jem

#3 Post by jem »

I have both and prefer the hawley. I only wear it at night now so appearance is not an issue. I find it more comfortable and prefer it to having my teeth totally covered in plastic and my bite not quiet meeting. I paid extra for the hawley and my main reason for asking for it was that I understood it would be more durable than the essix and I was keen to have a retainer that would last for several years.

Jem.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

sth1988

#4 Post by sth1988 »

Thank you for your replies, I feel somewhat certain that next time I will be asking for a Hawley! :P

turtle

#5 Post by turtle »

[quote="oldfart"]Previous attempt with braces had both. Hawley was much easier to keep clean. No matter how hard I tried to keep it clean, the Essix just had a slimy feel to it.[/quote]

I completely agree! I also don't like that the essix seems to change my bite and when I take it off in the morning it takes a few hours for my teeth to settle again.

rapunzel

#6 Post by rapunzel »

How much did you pay for your Hawley? where is the best place to get one?

BlondeCam

#7 Post by BlondeCam »

Hey y'all! I've also had both. From my previous treatment as a teen and now again at 41. I never liked the Essix either and asked for both. Though as an adult, I only had some minor corrections so only have to wear my retainers at night. Sooo, I'm continuing the Essix at night, just before bed and I take them out first thing. Drop them in a glass with water and a denture cleaning tab. There have been only a couple of occasions that I've fallen asleep without them and then I'll slip my Hawley on for s few hours during the day. My biggest fear getting debonded this time around was that I wouldn't keep up with the wearing. Proud of myself so far. I do agree with the poster above that my bite does seem slightly off when I remove the Essix in the morning but doesn't take long to get back to normal. My ortho explained that the Essix is the exact shape and alignment of the day of debonding. I think the Hawley allows for some movement as the wire is pretty easiest moved. Good luck you all!