Not wearing retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ktaylor0104

Not wearing retainer

#1 Post by ktaylor0104 »

Has anyone not worn their retainer? If so, did you teeth move a lot? I wore mine for the first 2 weeks, but got lazy and have only worn it maybe 3 times the past 2 weeks. I can't stand them, I'd rather have the braces back on if I had to.

metalliKa

Re: Not wearing retainer

#2 Post by metalliKa »

ktaylor0104 wrote:Has anyone not worn their retainer? If so, did you teeth move a lot? I wore mine for the first 2 weeks, but got lazy and have only worn it maybe 3 times the past 2 weeks. I can't stand them, I'd rather have the braces back on if I had to.
I don't have retainers, yet, but like braces, they need getting used to. Braces, retainers combined with straight teeth is a lifetime commitment. I can't imagine botching my 1 year + of metal sentencing by not wearing my retainers. It's taken me a long time and a lot of money to fulfill my desire to have straight teeth and I will everything I can to keep my teeth straight...no matter how uncomfortable the retainers may be.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

NeilH

#3 Post by NeilH »

I see retainers as simply the next stage of my treatment and one in which I have control over. Braces get your teeth into the required position, retainers make sure they stay there! If your retainers are uncomfortable maybe consider switching to a different type or simply give it longer and try to convince yourself that what you are doing is an important part of your overall treatment plan. Good luck.

phasesofbeauty

#4 Post by phasesofbeauty »

Please don't waste your money. If you don't wear the retainer, you will increase the likelihood of your teeth moving. Please wear them. If you don't like the kind you have, try another type of retainer.
Helpful Information to Make Your Life More Frugal and More Fun!
https://krystalbrownblog.wordpress.com

EP30

#5 Post by EP30 »

I wouldn't want my money or time to go to waste. I would just wear it.

touchofhiddencharm

#6 Post by touchofhiddencharm »

I have the Invisalign one for my top teeth. Fixed on bottom. I got too excited and stopped wearing my retainer. My teeth didn't move for about six months and then one day I noticed a slight gap. I ignored it because over that six month time period, I would attempt to wear my retainer just for the heck of it and it would hurt. So just last night after whitening my teeth, I decided to force my retainer back in. My mouth has been hurting all night. And no it didn't fit correctly. Turns out that not only did a develop tiny spaces in-between my teeth, but my overbite had retreated downward again over my teeth. I've been sucking my retainer tighter all night as my teeth slowly move back into place. Luckily, this morning, it's fitting a lot better than it did last night but my teeth and gums hurt. I'll be wearing this bad boy all weekend now until I can comfortably go back to nights (once the retainer gets loose again). Moral of the story is please please please just wear your retainer. It really is making a difference! I paid $4500 for braces and $800 for my retainer and I still felt comfortable not wearing it. I was devastated last night when my retainer didn't fit. I was scared that I would have to do the walk of shame at my ortho and request a consultation for Invisalign. YOU DONT WANT TO START OVER! Just wear it!

nitro

#7 Post by nitro »

I didn't wear my retainers much after my first round of braces. I learned my lesson and wore them after my invisalign treatment ;-)

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

NeilH wrote:I see retainers as simply the next stage of my treatment and one in which I have control over. Braces get your teeth into the required position, retainers make sure they stay there! If your retainers are uncomfortable maybe consider switching to a different type or simply give it longer and try to convince yourself that what you are doing is an important part of your overall treatment plan. Good luck.
I agree with Neil -- after all the time and money invested, I would hate to experience a relapse. I think the trick is to get into good habits early, and really be diligent for the first several weeks (of course you are well past that window). I have a temporary Essix-like retainer, awaiting Vivera (by Invisalign) retainers following some minor dental work. At times they are uncomfortable, and I had to relearn clear enunciation, but to me they are so much better than braces.

But in the end it is your choice, and your money, as you well know.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

turtle

#9 Post by turtle »

I stopped wearing my retainers regularly a few months after my braces came off, and completely stopped after a couple years. I decided to try them back on and they didn't fit. I couldn't/can't afford to get braces again so I went and got a new set of retainers. My teeth don't look that bad but my bite is way off which causes me jaw pain. I wish I would've done a better job wearing my retainers the first time around. And elastics too, for that matter because I wasn't wearing them like I was supposed to and my bite never fully fit together properly.

BlondeCam

#10 Post by BlondeCam »

Agree with what EVERYONE has said! Indeed the struggle is making yourself wear them. It's a lifelong commitment. Had I worn mine like prescribed as a teenager I wouldn't have shucked the money out of my own pocket to have braces on again. #sorrydad
If you don't wear your retainers your teeth WILL shift. That's all there is to it.

BlondeCam

#11 Post by BlondeCam »

touchofhiddencharm wrote:I have the Invisalign one for my top teeth. Fixed on bottom. I got too excited and stopped wearing my retainer. My teeth didn't move for about six months and then one day I noticed a slight gap. I ignored it because over that six month time period, I would attempt to wear my retainer just for the heck of it and it would hurt. So just last night after whitening my teeth, I decided to force my retainer back in. My mouth has been hurting all night. And no it didn't fit correctly. Turns out that not only did a develop tiny spaces in-between my teeth, but my overbite had retreated downward again over my teeth. I've been sucking my retainer tighter all night as my teeth slowly move back into place. Luckily, this morning, it's fitting a lot better than it did last night but my teeth and gums hurt. I'll be wearing this bad boy all weekend now until I can comfortably go back to nights (once the retainer gets loose again). Moral of the story is please please please just wear your retainer. It really is making a difference! I paid $4500 for braces and $800 for my retainer and I still felt comfortable not wearing it. I was devastated last night when my retainer didn't fit. I was scared that I would have to do the walk of shame at my ortho and request a consultation for Invisalign. YOU DONT WANT TO START OVER! Just wear it!
Good for you!!! Really like what you said about when they comfortably fit in again. My ortho says (regarding Essix) that loose retainers are a good sign!! Best of luck and great job getting them back in to shape before it's too late. It is amazing how easy it is to get lackadaisical about retainers after having all this time and money invested in the braces.