Broken retainer :(

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fleur26

Broken retainer :(

#1 Post by fleur26 »

So I got my retainer 10 days ago, on the day I got it fitted I noticed there were a few little cracks on the top of the upper essix. I mentioned this to my Orthodontist who said that was normal as they tend to do that. Not to my surprise completely as they're still a bit tight to get in and out today the retainer split down the front. :( I called my orthodontist who said to come in on Friday and they can take a look at its I'm hoping it will hold out 3 days Til then... Has this happened to anyone before? I wonder why it broke so soon? Will I have to pay? And is it normal to be tight still after a week? X

cherise25

Re: Broken retainer :(

#2 Post by cherise25 »

I had essix retainers for about a month before I got my Hawley retainers. They were very tight at first, but it got better after about two or three days. I am supposed to be able to wear either my Hawley or essix retainers but I mostly wear the hawleys because they are easier to get out and seem more sturdy. Switching back and forth between them is a little uncomfortable too.
Top Braces March 25, 2013
Exposure and Bonding surgery for impacted canine August 22, 2013
Bottom Braces March 17, 2014
Top and Bottom Braces Removed June 4, 2015

BracedSurgeryStudent

#3 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

How did the appointment go?
Jenn Medeiros

fleur26

#4 Post by fleur26 »

Heya. The appointment went fine. The orthodontist made me a Hawley for my uppers and I went back a couple of days ago to pick up a hawley for my lowers too. Fingers crossed! I sincerely believe essix retainers are just too fragile for me and I'm a life long grinder too.