"clicking" feeling/sound

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dhaliah

"clicking" feeling/sound

#1 Post by dhaliah »

Hi!
I've had my braces off for a couple years now, and have essix-style retainers on the top and bottom. I was up to wearing them one night a week, but have noticed now that one tooth will "click" every now and then.....is this normal? I can't see it move, but it feels like it did when I had my braces on and my teeth were moving. (I had the clicking happen while wearing braces, but that was quite a while ago) (This is my second time with braces/retainers since I lapsed on wearing my retainers when I was younger and my teeth shifted back) Will it eventually stop, or is this a normal thing after braces?

Whimsical

Re: "clicking" feeling/sound

#2 Post by Whimsical »

I know this is a really old thread, but this is happening to me too.

My ortho and general dentist have checked twice now and tell me it's just the ligaments and not to worry, but it happens so very often and is really noticeable, so 'not worrying' is not coming easily! :(
I had my braces off in December and everything was absolutely perfect until this time last month when this started happening out of nowhere. Sometimes wearing my removable retainer helps and nothing much will happen for a day or so, other times I wear my retainer in exactly the same way, then it starts again when I take it off, so I've no idea what's setting it off :(