Do essix retainers make you lisp and do they hurt?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

guest12345

Do essix retainers make you lisp and do they hurt?

#1 Post by guest12345 »

First post here and I'm actually getting braces off in a couple of weeks :biglaf: but the day after I get my retainers I'm going on holiday, but I don't know whether to postpone my appointment (and the appointment to get braces off) because I don't want to be in pain/discomfort, and I don't want to lisp. Also I'm worried that it'll be awkward having to take my retainer out all the time around new people when eating and stuff (I'm going to a wedding!)
Do you suggest I just go ahead and enjoy the naked teeth or wait so it's better timing?

Jethro

Re: Do essix retainers make you lisp and do they hurt?

#2 Post by Jethro »

First, congrats on the upcoming debanding! As for the Essix retainers, mine do not hurt or cause lisping. However, some have reported discomfort wearing their retainers and had to return to their ortho for adjustments (trimming, filing, etc.). You may want to consider waiting until you return from holiday so that if adjustments are necessary, you will have easy access to your ortho. You are correct in that you will not be able to eat or drink anything besides water with them in.

All the best.

guest12345

#3 Post by guest12345 »

Is it really awkward having to the them out and out them back in when around others? Or is there a subtle way to do it? :D

guest12345

#4 Post by guest12345 »

*take them out and put them back in

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

I never do it in front of anyone, except family. I will go to the bathroom or something.