Retainer and speech problems

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenash24

Retainer and speech problems

#1 Post by Jenash24 »

Hi
I was finally de braced last week after 11months. (Six month smile used, but I was a severe case). It have been given fixed bonded retainers which are fine, no problems, but he also gave me plastic retainers to use 24/7 for the first six months then dropping to every night. The bottom ones on their own cause me no speech problems but the top makes me sound like a lisping six year old.
I return to work on Monday as a teacher and I am petrified that I will continue to sound like this!?

Anyone managed to successfully get rid of the lisp??
Thanks
Jen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TMJJill

Re: Retainer and speech problems

#2 Post by TMJJill »

I wore splints 24/7 for a couple years before my braces and now wear the plastic type retainers that I got when my braces came off last fall. One thing they told me both times was to read out loud to myself every day until I got used to speaking with the splint/retainers in place. I did have a few people close to me give me some ribbing about my speech at first. I promise it does get better. I hope you can work it out quickly.

Good luck on Monday.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!