I may need rebracing!?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Realizingadream

I may need rebracing!?

#1 Post by Realizingadream »

Hi.

I got my braces off, 2 months ago. :lol:

Since then, I've been wearing my Essix retainer up top, 24/7. I've been wearing the Hawley on the bottom, at night, as instructed, but also quite a bit during the day when I'm on the computer (at work) and not interacting in person.

On my orthodontist's instructions, after I was debraced I went to my dentist to get a bridge made, to replace a tooth I foolishly had had taken out when I was much younger. Because it has been such a long time that the tooth has been gone, the bone there has eroded so an implant is not possible. A bridge is the way to go, in my instance.

However, the lower back teeth on the left (where I need the bridge) are much higher in position than the lower back teeth on the right. This is because those teeth had been almost sideways into the gap where the one tooth was missing; and now they are standing up straight and tall like they should have been along along, having been retrieved from their sideways situation. The left teeth, in back, top and bottom, meet pretty well. The dentist said they meet perfectly. However, on the right, the top and bottom teeth, in back, meet only on one cusp of one tooth at the very back, and then on one cusp of another tooth up front, with two top teeth in between the two cusp teeth, making no contact at all with the bottom teeth! :|

The dentist says the teeth on the right side that are meeting at the cusp only, will break! :( He says those 4 teeth are supposed to share the load, not only across all 4 teeth, but across all 3 or 4 cusps of each of those 4 teeth. The dentist was surprised at the outcome of my brace experience, so surprised, that he had me come in to have him make a second set of dental molds, because he thought the first set was wrong--because the teeth were so far "jacked" (my word, not his) that he couldn't believe it, until the 2nd impressions were made, and were exactly the same as the first set!

I am appalled.

I took the impressions and x-rays from the dentist to the orthodontist, along with the dentist's note about his concerns. The orthodontist and I talked, and the orthodontist poo poo'd it all, he said I was fine. :Questions:

I went back to the dentist a few days later, and he asked me how my visit with the orthodontist had gone, and told me the orthodontist had not contacted him. I said that the orthodontist had told me he would contact the dentist! The dentist is going to wait a few more days (professional courtesy, he said) to hear from the orthodontist. Then he will contact the orthodontist if he hasn't heard from him.

When I was considering getting braces, I had had two separate consultations with the orthodontist, because I had a consultation and was shocked at the price and put it off for a year (while I saved up some money), and then I had to have a new consultation because it had been too long since the first consultation. So, two consultations. I told the orthodontist that I wanted my teeth to look better, and to have the same good function that I needed. I repeated in more than one conversation, that i wanted good function, because I knew most of his customers (teenagers) probably had no idea that the functionality of their teeth was a concern too. He assured me there would be no problems whatever with my function, and he said my teeth would still have a tiny bit of overbite--since I didn't want jaw surgery--but that everything would be a happy ending.

Now this. :-+

I just want to hug my pillow and cry and cry. I goofed up my teeth, for vanity? I told myself that they would work better and be easier to clean. I put up with 2 years of braces, and as an older person too! I am so upset.

Since the dentist and the orthodontist have not had their conversation yet, I don't even know what can be done. When I asked the dentist if I needed to be rebraced, he said, "Probably." I'm willing, if it will fix it, but I'm not willing to pay a cent more, at least not to this orthodontist. I've already paid a lot for this journey.

Have any of you been in similar circumstances? Do you have any suggestions for me, besides going into hyper-rage--that's where I'm staying right now.

Real

TMJJill

Re: I may need rebracing!?

#2 Post by TMJJill »

Hi Real,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through so much. I've been following your journey with interest as your journey started not long after mine.

I'm curious. Do you know what your Orthodontist's training is?

I ask because I went into treatment about 4 years ago because of bite issues. It took me a lot of research and some expensive 'false starts' in treatment to find an Orthodontist who was properly qualified to treat me. I had no clue about the orthodontic stuff when I started out. I assumed all Orthodontists were pretty much the same. What I came to find was that a lot of Orthodontists out there are great at helping create a beautiful smile, but not nearly enough specialize in creating great bite. Even fewer are really trained to treat the TMJD I'd developed. Through various boards over the years, I've run into a lot of patients who have had to go into braces a second time because of bite issues that developed because the bite was off due to the orthodontic treatment.

I totally understand the money issue, I've been dealing with it myself, but think it might really be worth seeking out a consultation with a Functional Orthodontist. They are trained with a special focus on correct bites. It seems that the term 'functional' orthodontics isn't extremely common anymore though. If you are researching finding a qualified dentist and can't find a 'functional' Orthodontist in your area, you might try looking for a dentist trained in treating craniofacial pain. The American Academy of Craniofacial Pain has links to dentists who have certified in this area.

I find it interesting your Orthodontist sent you to your general dentist for the bridge. My Orthodontist is a General Dentist and does much of that work himself. It sounds like your general dentist is pretty thorough.

I wish you luck.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

SunshineRay

#3 Post by SunshineRay »

Now you have me scared. I have to get a bridge for the same reason and hope there wont be problems. My general dentist couldnt get me in until Aug 13 so I will be out of braces a month at that point.
I'm sorry that you are having issues! :(

Realizingadream

#4 Post by Realizingadream »

Hi TMJ Jill:

My dentist uses "Damon" braces and I thought he had all the skills needed for that. All the ladies who work in his office have had braces from him, older ladies, in their 40's and up, and I guess they're satisfied.

When I interviewed orthodontists, I chose him, for various reasons, including that his dad and uncle both do Damon braces. I figured, "yeah." I figured with the family lineage in the business, he must know everything. Huh.

Also, when I was interviewing orthodontists, one of them said, your teeth in back, fit perfectly. We wouldn't want to change that in any way. So, if she kept her records of my visit, I have that to show him. Plus, of course, my long-time dentist has before and after full mouth x-rays.

I am so very disappointed.

My dentist is awaiting word back from the orthodontist. He says it is "professional courtesy" to wait x amount of time for the ortho to get to that. I was amazed, because the orthodontist had given me the impression he would contact the dentist straightaway, when I took the dental molds over, and the handwritten questions the dentist had sent with me. But, whether the dentist hears from him or not, he will be in contact with him to advocate for me getting my bite straightened out.

I am so pleased with my dentist. How was I to know my bite was wrong? It felt different, but I figured it felt different because I had had braces, of course. And then I find out my teeth are going to shatter? Oh no.

Being braced again doesn't bother me in the least. At my age, I think it is kind of amusing, actually. I am not interested in fielding any bad attitude from the orthodontist, either. He should not try that. I guess that's one of the advantages of being an older gal going through this.

Oh my: Do you think I will go to my grave, with a walker or cane and O2 tank, and BRACES!?! Ha ha ha funny visual. So far only the braces, but the clock keeps ticking. Maybe I can brandish a cane at the ortho, that young pup. Geezers, unite!

Real

Realizingadream

#5 Post by Realizingadream »

Dear Sunshine Ray:

Wear your retainers just as directed, until you get to your dentist.

Real

TMJJill

#6 Post by TMJJill »

Hi Realizing,

I hope your dentist and orthodontist are able to come up with a good plan to help you get your bite sorted out. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Realizingadream

#7 Post by Realizingadream »

Dear Faithful Readers. Ha ha just kidding.

I truly should have put in a note before this amount of time had passed. I apologize.

I started a new job and became very, very busy with all the effort involved. It was in a new to me career change job, after quite a bit of training, and was quite stressful. Clearly, I forgot about this thread. I did not need rebracing, and my teeth are now very nice teeth.

As to whether Damon "invisible" braces are invisible: When I got my braces off, 6 months after I had started my new job, not one single person noticed. Weird, huh.

My dentist and my orthodontist spent some time on the telephone together discussing my case. What happened to my teeth due to bracing, was quite strange. When I was a child, my parents couldn't afford orthodontia, and in an effort to help my smile, at approximately the age of 7 took me in and had 2 teeth removed, one on either side and I think on the bottom jaw. I dimly remember a day long, long ago, when my father just kept looking at me as I stood there wobbly, and he was very, very sad, and as he stood there sorrowing and looking at me, he said, "Well I hope that fixes it." He was so sad, looking at me. I don't remember anything else about that day. I imagine this was after the dental surgeon had removed 2 of my teeth in an attempt to prevent the need for orthodontia. Wow. The dentist and orthodontist did assure me that two teeth are now missing, either congenitally or from dental surgery. Yah, I think I did have dental surgery as a child, but my parents are not available for me to ask them about this.

So then I grew up and had lots and lots of cavities. This, I realized after I had my braces off and my teeth were considerably straighter and not jammed together anymore, was because I had been unable to brush them properly when they were so crooked! I had not realized before then, what a difficult time I had in getting them truly brushed clean--because of all the nooks and crannies due to crookedness. I had always wondered what was my problem, that I would occasionally have a dental cavity, because I was always very appropriate about brushing and flossing my teeth! Finally, I knew, and it had not been my fault.

The cavities had been repaired, over the decades, both with amalgam and some shiny, gold crowns. When the crowns and fillings were placed, the dentist made every effort to assure a good bite remained. The fillings and especially the crowns, became part of the problem after the teeth were straightened. My teeth had been almost lying on their sides before orthodontia, and after orthodontia, they had achieved new heights by being yarded and pulled up to their proper position. Well, this didn't work at all, because now I was limited to chewing on only two teeth! All the other teeth were not meeting! The bottom teeth were too high! It was a very wonky feeling! Not understanding the underlying problem, I presumed the orthodontia had been poorly done, and I assumed I needed rebracing. Neither were true.

The dentist "equilibrated" my teeth. He shaved them down, just a tiny amount, and wahlah, they fit together now! I had to have two of the crowns re-done and re-placed and not so high. Now, I can chew on all my teeth! I can brush them and keep them shiny and bright! I am thrilled! I also spent yet more money, to have a blank space that had existed due to a dental extraction by a bad dentist (boo, not my current dentist) but that tooth should have been saved, not extracted, and he didn't even tell me that. Just, yank! I was barely in my 20s at the time, I didn't know there were other options. I had that space, filled with a bridge. It is awesome to have a tooth (simulated) where there had been no tooth before, for many, many years.

I am a happy, happy customer. I think the Damon orthodontist did his work correctly. I think what happened to me, may be a somewhat common occurrence in the older customer who comes in seeking straight teeth after decades of putting up with wonky teeth.

I am very, very satisfied and I do believe I will likely be able keep my straight, pretty teeth for the rest of my life. As an older adult (I think I mentioned my age earlier in this thread) I recommend this to anyone who wants a prettier smile, which will incidentally result in teeth that are easier to keep clean, and will also have better chewing surfaces. That is what I have. I am very pleased.

I do wear my retainers every single night.

Real

Lorianne

#8 Post by Lorianne »

Real, can you post a before and after pic? Congrats on your happy outcome!!