Braces Removed Yesterday - Not Happy

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Acrux

Braces Removed Yesterday - Not Happy

#1 Post by Acrux »

Hi All

I've not been a very active member on here, I posted a few times when my braces first went on but they came off yesterday almost a year to the day they went on. And... I'm not happy.

The midline is off which I discussed with my ortho throughout the treatment, and as both midlines are shifted to the right she said it would need around a further two years of treatment and I decided it wasn't really worth it for what it is (about 3/4mm) I think a 'muggle' wouldn't notice anything, considering I didn't even know what a midline was until I got braces.

My biggest issue lies in the fact that I feel like I have an overjet now, I look in the mirror head on and I'm happy with the results, as soon as I try to look from a sideways angle, I can see my uppers sticking out at an angle, not pointing straight down. This also means it looks like I have a huge overbite that you could fly a plane through.

Also, not sure if this is normal, but my lower front teeth are hitting the glue/bond for the permanent retainers before the rest of my teeth touch, meaning I cant touch any teeth together exept a few front lowers and the two front uppers. Surely that's not right? I didn't notice at the ortho's office it was only when I got home and tried to eat.

Perhaps subconsciously my expectations were too high?

Any advice or to read similar stories would be comforting, thanks.

jem

Re: Braces Removed Yesterday - Not Happy

#2 Post by jem »

I think you would need to post some pics before anyone could comment on the outcome of your treatment. The midline discrepancy sounds trivial. especially as it is the same side top and bottom.

But I think you should contact your ortho re your bonded upper retainer. Your bottom teeth should not make contact with it and will presumably damage it if they do. Nor should it affect your bite.

One of the reasons not many people have an upper bonded retainer is because bottom teeth will clash with it. I have an upper bonded retainer but have no problem with it because there is little (?insufficient) overlap between my top and bottom teeth.

Do you have an upper removable retainer as well? If you don't there is every chance as things stand that your bottom teeth will break the bonded retainer and you will be left with no effective retention.

Good luck

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

jem

#3 Post by jem »

I think you would need to post some pics before anyone could comment on the outcome of your treatment. The midline discrepancy sounds trivial. especially as it is the same side top and bottom.

But I think you should contact your ortho re your bonded upper retainer. Your bottom teeth should not make contact with it and will presumably damage it if they do. Nor should it affect your bite.

One of the reasons not many people have an upper bonded retainer is because bottom teeth will clash with it. I have an upper bonded retainer but have no problem with it because there is little (?insufficient) overlap between my top and bottom teeth.

Do you have an upper removable retainer as well? If you don't there is every chance as things stand that your bottom teeth will break the bonded retainer and you will be left with no effective retention.

Good luck

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

plugnickel69

#4 Post by plugnickel69 »

I totally agree with Jem, but I'll only say it once. :D

jem

#5 Post by jem »

:D

Acrux

#6 Post by Acrux »

Hi guys thanks for your replies. I'm feeling much better now I think I was being overly critical. I'm starting to love my new smile!

auco99

#7 Post by auco99 »

I'm not happy with mine either. I got mine off the 12th, but I needed to wear a positioner. I faithfully wore it for 72 hours straight, and have worn it as much if not more than prescribed. I have since experienced pretty severe hot/cold pains in my upper right teeth that seems to be slowly getting worse. Additionally, one of my bottom teeth is already shifting. I have long felt that one of my teeth was pointed a little too far inward, and in my opinion the positioner is putting additional pressure that is crowding out one of my lower teeth. Everything went pretty great until the last 6 months. In January I had to get a root canal on one of my upper central teeth, which left it discolored at the top. Now this. It's just really discouraging.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

cynthiacharles

#8 Post by cynthiacharles »

Are you now comfortable after the root canal Treatment or the situation getting worst after it? Root canal does not look good but if your problem had been cured then there no issue. If you still having some problem, then please refer http://www.mysmilekeeper.com.

Lingual

#9 Post by Lingual »

Hi everyone! Have exactly same problem as author and few other issues. 1,5 years wearing lingual braces and about 2 months invisiline. Not happy with the smile. Had much better smile before the braces. Originally I only needed crowding fixed on my bottom jaw, but been told got to do top as well and no other way. Teeth look more straight, but they kind of stick out. The chin has moved to one side slightly and lips look lopsided because of that. I only have noticed it when took a passport photo where you need to keep serious and I was shocked. Plus the teeth only touch on one side of the jaw when I eat. Also they appear tinted to one side. My ortho says that is because of my jaw structure and everything has been done to achieve the best possible result. I'm not sure about that as when I look at before and after pics I want to cry. I'm even thinking to take the retainers off (the top) so my teeth can go back. Yes, my teeth look more straight in general, but my smile is not. What do you guys think, did anyone experience anything similar, I just need your genuine opinion if it looks wrong? Thanks

PS. How do I post pics?

bmueller

#10 Post by bmueller »

The grass is always greener... I don't like that my top front teeth are too vertical...arguably tilted inwards, exactly the opposite of what you're complaining about! Want to switch teeth :)

Seriously, I think we sometimes become overly critical as adult patients.

Keep in mind there is a "range" of normal and you're probably at one end and I'm at the other.

My lower teeth used to hit the glue on the upper permanant retainer... no big deal!

Stop worrying and start smiling! Enjoy all the hard work and money spent.