Black Triangles - Bonding Not Working

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

plugnickel69

Black Triangles - Bonding Not Working

#1 Post by plugnickel69 »

My dentist didn't really want to use bonding to address my black triangle issues as he said he didn't think the bonding would hold. Unfortunately, he was right. Nine month out, I have had continual chipping off of pieces and have been back to him countless times for repair. Unfortunately, looks like veneers are in my near future.

Fionisimma

Re: Black Triangles - Bonding Not Working

#2 Post by Fionisimma »

Sorry to hear that... May I please ask which teeth/where the bonding was placed...? I currently have significant size black triangles (which opened up as my teeth started to straighten) between both central incisors and their adjacent lateral incisors... Still hoping to avoid veneers too....

plugnickel69

#3 Post by plugnickel69 »

[quote="Fionisimma"]Sorry to hear that... May I please ask which teeth/where the bonding was placed...? quote]

Bonding done on top incisors and laterals. My teeth are somewhat bell-shaped.

Bikerchick85

#4 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I'm sorry plugnickle :( were they trying to fill in between the teeth? Wonder why it didn't hold?? Do you know what technique they used?
I'm going to have to get bonding done to my lower incisors

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

plugnickel69

#5 Post by plugnickel69 »

Bikerchick85 wrote:I'm sorry plugnickle :( were they trying to fill in between the teeth? Wonder why it didn't hold?? Do you know what technique they used?
I'm going to have to get bonding done to my lower incisors
He filled in top edges basically. Don't know what "technique" he used. He believes the pressure from the essix retainer may cause the problem.

Bikerchick85

#6 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Plugnickel.. have a question for you.. Did you get your bonded retainers as soon as you were debanded and then have them removed for your bonding appointment with dentist and reapplied by Ortho same day?

My dentist tells me he needs them off for bonding but I want them on immediately cause I have to whiten before I actually get the bonding done.
My plan was coordinate appts with Ortho and dentist and back to Ortho the same day.

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

plugnickel69

#7 Post by plugnickel69 »

Bikerchick85 wrote:Did you get your bonded retainers as soon as you were debanded and then have them removed for your bonding appointment with dentist and reapplied by Ortho same day?

My dentist tells me he needs them off for bonding but I want them on immediately cause I have to whiten before I actually get the bonding done.
My plan was coordinate appts with Ortho and dentist and back to Ortho the same day.
Hi Bickerchick,
I coordinated appointments for the same day. Ortho removed the wire from upper bonded retainer, then I went to dentist for bonding. Dentist had some trouble making things look right and then I had some bleeding, so I had to go back to dentist after the weekend and wear Essix full-time for weekend as ortho wanted to protect from any movement. Turns out after all dentist didn't need bonded retainer removed to do the bonding.

My ortho was very good working with me with no extra charges. He told me he would remove bonded when I would be fitted for the veneers, but dentist said it probably would not be necessary.

Hope things work out for you.

Plugnickel